Accelerator pedal bush

Hi all,

I recently found that my accelerator pedal was rather loose and with further inspection dicovered that one bushes was missing and that other had partly disintigrated.

???  I have replaced the one on the right hand side of the footwell but can not for the life of me get the the other one to fit in the buikhead side. It is a very tight fit and I just wondered if any of you may have a simple tip.  I was thinking of running it under the hot tap to make it more supple.  Follow the link below if you are not sure what part I am talking about.

Bush - item 9 in this drawing

Cheers gents,

Allan

We don't need a drawing because we all know what a pig it is to get the bearing in correctly and without damaging it. I have never managed to do it in a way that could be recommended to other persons. Hot, cold, dry, wet, press, pull, it has always been a bodge. I think the press is the best way but who has the correct tooling in their garage at home.

Allan

I fitted poly bushes during the restoration, so like Richard the shell was probably stripped, I think I fitted the bush with a bit of washing up liquid without the pedal, then fitted the pedal through it [it only goes a short way through] then bolted up the RH side to the pedal box. I don't remember it as a great deal of hassle, but there are so many hassles building a TR6 that maybe that one's been forgotten!!

Ron

:) Thanks gents very much appreciated!!

I am of now to give it another go.

Harry yes mine are Poly but I don't fancy cutting it; I'd rather persevere and get it in, in one piece.

Richard & Ron, I do have the pedal assembly out so I have a clear hole to work at so I'll try the hot water and washing up liquid, (if I can find it, don't usually find a need to use it).

:cool: I'll let you know how I get on.

All the best,

Allan

I know that you have already bought the poly bushes, but as  an alternative i used two (3/8" i think) brass compression fittings from the plumbing suppliers, drilled out the centre to match the throttle bar and then used the compression nut to sandwich the union to the bulkhead. they are easily  installed and removed, can be lubricated and won't wear the shaft out. I will take a photo when i have 2 minutes if anyone is interested.
as  an alternative i used two (3/8" i think) brass compression fittings from the plumbing suppliers, drilled out the centre to match the throttle bar and then used the compression nut to sandwich the union to the bulkhead. they are easily  installed and removed, can be lubricated and won't wear the shaft out. I will take a photo when i have 2 minutes if anyone is interested.

Great mod & great lateral thinking; lets have the pics.

I replaced my bushes last year with the poly version. After struggling with them I got out the hot air gun that I use for stripping paint and that softened them up very nicely in a few seconds so that I could poke them into place with a blunt metal object (a small screwdriver that is bent to a right angle at the end). Once they cooled they resumed their former hardness.

Stan

From the answers you all seem to agree it is a pain in the ****.

In one of the American club web pages a hairbrained idea was shown. A metal bush with bearing in 2 parts which could be screwed together from both sides of the metal. I think the easiest way is to take it to a garage and say "Do it". How often do you have to change them? Once in 15 years.

Thanks again gents, its amazing how much a small part can create such interest.

:D Anyway I've got the flipping thing in now simply using brute force and a lot of ignorance.  I think the hot water did help so heating it up with a heat gun would of made it easier.  vanflyer's plumbing mode sounds good but I don't think I'll take the bush out again now, perhaps next time if  ever they ever wear out.

Cheers gents,

Allan :)