Play in Bonnet hinges

When BUO's bonnet is fully shut its possible to grab hold of the leading edge of the bonnet and pull it up about 3/4 of an inch, on investigation the bonnet hinges are firmly mounted the play appears to be in the hinge pin its self, is this normal or are the hinge pins (hinges) worn out

ATB Graham

Hi Graham,

there should be no play in the hinge pin. Is there sign of rusts - orangey/brown dust/stain

Normally they can be very stiff.

Roger

no sign of rust but when bonnet was of they were both very loose, so looks like something else for the parts list do you know if the ones Moss have are NOS or repro ?

ATB Graham

Hi Graham,

To be honest, I would stay away from used hinges, or you might end up with the same problem in a couple of years time! I recently replaced mine with some new ones from Moss and they seem to be doing the job OK.

Geoff

PS. If you can really lift the Bonnet 3/4", your hinges must be really knackered!