Close ratio gear set

:D just get one t5 with bellhousing  from this guy very cheap

http://www.bellhillgarage.co.uk/

u just need to  drill 2 new holes to bring rear mount a bit to rear ,dump tr7 ruber mount and get a chevy race one £20.00

bolts ok to tr7 gearbox cross menber and get a proper prop from repcoprop to take all that torque

just use a tvr one griffith 500 or other

happy

tr8ing

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Larry J-C
Anthony - John Eales used to have sets available but they were about £800!  I raced my V8 for years on standard gears and franky with the torque available never felt to need for anything else.  If you must, Johns phone number is 01455202909.
Larry, how did you get around the strength problem in 5th gear? After much experimentation I have geared the car so that i am at 6700rpm in 5th at the end of the longest straight. But the issue is that i am now needing to rebuild for the second time in 18months, i had hoped that the a close ratio set on the first four gears would alleviate the problem by meaning that 5th would only be required on the longer straights. Engine has been stroked to 4.5 litres and substantially worked so torque is way more than what would be expected from a 3.5l. Should i just forget about gearbox life and just replace it every 6months or so?
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Larry J-C

Anthony,

Sorry for the late reply.  I reckoned on a gearbox giving a full season on the circuits - say ten races and then the bearings would need sorting.  The only time I have had a problem with the gears themselves is when I bought a 'recon gearbox' and found that 5th had broken off.  There are 2 standards of 5th gear fitting and if I remember the later (stronger one) held fifth on with a bolt rather than a circlip.  However I don't think that the gears are the problem with this box and you will probably find that a close ratio  set is no stronger - its that pesky little bearing between the first motion shaft and gear shaft (you know its shot when, with the box in neutral, that horrible rumbling noise dissapears when you put your foot on the clutch).  Urban myth has it that when fitted to the sherpa vans they replaced it with a roller bearing for the extra torque - but I have never been able to chase that down.

Enjoy the box changes - I got it down to 2 hours.

Larry