Separating engine from gearbox

Hi! - it's me again, on my steep learning curve. I think this one might have some folk slapping foreheads in dismay. Anyway, here goes. Got the engine/gearbox out but now need to separate them. Each part is supported on wooden blocks. Bolts have been removed/undone as required. I have pulled the gearbox back about 1inch and can see the flywheel in the gap between the bell housing and the engine. But I can't get the gearbox away from the engine. Are they not joined by the clutch so that I should just be able to lift the gearbox away? I don't want to damage anything (too late, perhaps?) by pulling and bending too much, so could any of you seasoned engine-outers possibly advise?

Thanks again in advance - the generosity of time and thought and the patience of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me  :)

cheers,

Kevin (hoping one day to be able to contribute to somebody's TR7 problem - not looking likely at the moment!)

Having done this a couple of times now.....

Once you have removed the bellhousing bolts and the starter you will be able to pull the two apart.  It might take a bit of effort, but nothing else is holding them together.

I've always found the difficultly was putting them back together, especially when the engine is in-situ!

Good luck,

Malcolm.

Hi Kevin, don't be afraid to use a bit of leverage, but as Malcolm says above do not subject the input shaft splined that goes through clutch plate to any of the G/B weight or bending.   If you use a couple of wide tyre levers, equally on each side, should slide apart, cushion leverage points with thin ply, heavy duty cardboard etc. to avoid any damage to castings.

Thanks guys - job done! Gearbox off tonight, no problem. It really helps to know how far to push things when unsure of the consequences. A couple of levers and your assurances made it an easy job. :D BTW I note that when I turn the driveshaft by hand I can hear noise from inside the box - nothing unpleasant ie no grinding etc, but enough to let me know that something is turning in there! Is this normal? And is it OK to put the clutch/flywheel from the old engine onto the new one along with the gearbox?

Thanks for your patience - see you at the International for a beer?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, unless the flywheel fitted is badly scored, scorched or you want to it skimmed/lightened, I'd leave it well alone.   If you do take it off, I would advise you to replace the bolts, don't be tempted to re-use the old ones - and get really good quality, high tensile new ones.   Unless you know that all three components of the clutch are almost new or only done a low mileage, you're best off replacing as a set.

Good advice.  Remember how difficult it was to get all this out and separated?  Best put new clutch components in now and hopefully it will be a very long time 'til you need to do it again.  Have a look at the clutch fork too.  They have a tendancy to wear through where they pivot on the fulcrum pin.  Easy and cheap to replace it now....

Malcolm.