Tour of Angelsey

Who's doing the Tour of Angelsey ? Rob Kiff and I (day release only) are out in BST. Andy Lane is out in GSK - any more TR4's ?

Regards

Tony

Terry Pickering and Paul Robinson are out in the TR3 (if it's finished!! engine currently being rebuilt I believe), plus there's a Triumph 2000, 2 Vitesse's (one in the very capable hands of autotest champion Duncan Wild with Graham Raeburn on the maps - could be the team to beat, along with El Tel)

Anyone in the N Wales area that weekend (9th/10th July, starts at 5pm on the Saturday and finishes at 2pm on Sunday) but not taking part should get themselves down there - best thing to do is volunteer as a marshall - always plenty needed on this event, which includes quarry bashes and PCTs (prduction car trials - a form of autotest, normally on a big field not far off the A55 expressway on Sunday morning - should be a good laugh!) - anyone need more info please let me know!

cheers

Andy

Andy I hope your new navigator is up to scratch!!

Thanks Les; it's always hard breaking in a new and inexperienced navigator  :D

Sadly El Tel's TR3 won't be finished in time, his TR5 needs a clutch, the Tiger's not ready and the racing Clan is still sans cyliner head .... so Paul Robinson is looking for a ride and there's a spare place in the historics for anyone that might be interested in a late entry ....

Anyone coming along to watch/marshall? Just turn up at the Show Ground on Saturday morning/early afternoon and you'll get all the info you need there. Or text me on 0780 813 8292 and I'll try to help.

cheers, Andy

..... mmmmmm, not a happy weekend. No doubt Tony will tell you about the 360 he did on the M5 in graphic detail, making him very late to the start, then buring out the clutch on a PCT on Sunday :(

We didn't do any better, losing the nearside front wheel on a gentle right-hander, dumping us into the scenery with no steering or brakes (fractured calliper) ... robbed us of a top 3 place I think, probably would have been 2nd the way we were going!!

Yup ....... it was a stinker. Start to finish.

But I hold my hand out to the organisers who did all they could within the rules to keep us in the rally, running us 39th instead of 7th to give us service time at the start and allowing Rob and I to use up 29 mins and 30 secs of our OTL allowance to get to the 3rd test (first two missed so penalties).

We had a belting night section (but sorry to come across Andy with 3 wheels!) and were looking good for a top 10 finish, despite test penalties. Rob's navigation and bend calling was spot on, meaning that I could use all of BST's power down the twisty lanes ....... maybe hence my later troubles.

Clutch loss happened on a very lazy 'trial' type test, where I wound BST up a hill and kept plugging on the diff. Then the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise when you run out of material on the plate and the stink .......... so home I went after waiting 4 hours for a truck.

First rally where Ive arrived on the back of a truck and left on one....... but we had a great time as always and in the words of the Terminator ..... Ill be back. Next out on the Targa 3rd September, possibly with 3VC and John Korrison driving and me navigating. !!!!!!!!

I won't bore you all with the M5 spin, except to say that a small mechanical failure could have slung me under a truck and im sure it was only the handling and strength of BST that allowed me to get out unscathed. Very scary.

Regards to all

Tony

Hi Adey - yer back. Trust you had a fab time.

Basically it looks like I probably overtighted one of the caliper retaining bolts, which then sheared in service, causing the front calipers to grp the top of the disc when i braked after hearing the bolt ping under the sump guard.

The front right then locked up, pulling the tyre under the wheel and sending the car into a clockwise spin, flipping the rear around in front of me. I managed to drag the hand brake on to stop it spinning and gathered it all together after just the single 360 and eased it onto the hard shoulder with the tyre hanging off the rim a bit. Not much damage considering. I reckon I was doing about 100 when the bolt let go, say 60 when the front snapped.

Missed the crash barrier with the tail lights by about a foot or so as the wheels stayed out of the slush in the middle and rather luckily did not collect anybody else as the road wasnt busy.

Got towed to a garage, driled out the sheared bolt, fed the tyre back on the rim, pumped it up, checked it over and back on the truck to meet Rob the superstar who got a pair of caliper bolts from TR Bitz on the way to the rally. Everything else I needed was in the boot.

Also rogered the front wheel bearings but I got away with tightening them up, but they are ready to change.

Easily the biggest moment Ive had without actually hitting something.

Regards

Lucky of Fleet

Lucky of Fleet

By whatsit Tony, you were "more than lucky" to quote those **** ads..

Do you think you'd've got out of it so easily/lightly if you didn't have the rally driving experience.   This is one reason I'd like to see all drivers given skid-pan practice, and while the trolley contraptions are reasonable simulators, they don't compare with real ski-pans.   Thank you for sharing your expereince.

Lucky indeed.

I think you are right though Jonlar, not wishing to bum my driving up ........ well not too much .......! but I do think that firstly I was very lucky not to collect anybody else, secondly there is no doubt that the limited skill I have gave me a chance.

The best training that you can get for this sort of thing is firstly practical experience on a circuit or skidpan (which ive done quite a few times) and secondly development of observation which you only really get through doing something like a police class 1 course (or perhaps IAM if the standard is high enough).

I had the luxury of being taught to drive fairly early by a former police driving examiner, did my IAM test at 17 and played with cars on tracks etc. all my driving life ...... im sure this helped.!

Regards

Tony