Center console

Moving on to more frivolous topics than overdrives and speedo drive gear ratios.. A couple of times in the last few years I have seen a TR6 center console pop up on eBay. They have sold for a few hundred dollars I think. I don’t think this was a standard option so maybe it was an aftermarket product but it did look like it was designed for the TR6 family.

I’d like to add some power outlets and have a place to put a satellite radio (I have the kind where I can transfer the radio part between cars, it is a small unit that plugs into a docking station) so a smallish console that will sit on the tunnel between and behind the seats sounds like the right approach. If it had a compartment with a lid I could put power and the satellite radio in there. It looks like I have about 10 inches between the handbrake and the rear shelf and maybe 4 inches in width to play with.

Anyone already done this, have any suggestions, photos etc ?

Stan

Stan

That console looks pretty good, I think if it was available in the UK I would seriously consider fitting one, it's the first I've seen in a TR6 that looks as if it's meant to be there.

Ron

I also like your seat covers where did you get them from ?

The seats are from a Miata. They were meant to be a temporary solution while I rebuilt the originals but these Miata seats are so much better I'm not highly motivated to go back to vinyl.

Stan

One more data point.. I went out for an extended drive today and found that my elbow was hitting the armrest when selecting second gear. It wasnt a big deal and I can adjust but I'm only 5 foot 6 and a taller person might have more of a problem since they may have the seat further back although their elbows might be higher also and avoid the armrest.

Here is more info about this particular unit to help with local sourcing.

The console is manufactured by a company in Taiwan (naturally) called "Spring Lite" or SPL. This console appears to be part of their "Garage-Pro" line and the box has these identifying numbers:

Stock No: 13-5858

Item No: H 50-10060

It is called "Universal Arm Rest and Center Console".

I would hope you could find this or something similar in the UK, it is very basic. Where do people go for car stuff anyway, Halfords still ?

Stan

I got the cup holders today, these are prettly slick and take up next to no room when closed, but open up and are adjustable for small to large drink containers. I bought two of them for $9.00 each on eBay and fitted one to the front of the console.

More pic's at:

http://www.rollingcat.com/center-console.htm

Stan