Hello all

I'm in the process of re carpeting my TR4. I've got the carpets from TR Shop and I am using the sound deadening material recommended by Stuart. I bought the fitting kit from TR Shop and it has the various press stud fittings, associated rivets etc. I intend to use 6 press studs in the passenger and driver footwell carpets (as per Stuart's recommendation) but I note in the Roger William's restoring book it says you need to use washers with the rivets to prevent them pulling though in use. No washers provided with the kit from TR Shop. May be fun actually getting washers on the underside of the rivet given their locations!

Are these really necessary?

Is Mr Williams more energetic in the use of his TR carpeting than most?!

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Bob

No you dont if you use decent rivets, Ive never had one pull through yet, your more likely to pull the carpet clip apart than that. With the greatest respect to Mr Williams some of his recommendations arent the best.

Stuart.

Bob,

I assume you have blind or 'pop' rivets, these only need backing washers if you are usng them in soft materials, ie ally or fibreglass. In steel they will be fine without.

n.b. personally I'd use self-tappers ( preferably stainless) to retain the studs, stronger than rivets in my opinion for FWIW.

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater