Gearbox and overdrive oil

In the technicalities section of this months TR Action (edition 203 May 05)  someone discusses the gearbox oil to be used when an overdrive is present.  They recommend SAE90 and not SAE90EP due to the high pressures involved.

I'm confused at this as EP is extra pressure oil.  But I get more confused when I see that  the Moss catalogue recommends CLST90 but the Triumph Workshop Manual clearly indicates EP90.  I have a TR4A with overdrive and wonder which oil  should it be?

Regards,

Paul Anderson

I believe EP oil is not necessary in a gearbox. 'Extra pressure' or is it 'Extreme Pressure'? , is about the pressure between the teeth of the gears and the high pressure of the hydraulic system of the overdrive is something else. EP oil is typically needed in the rear axle. The classic mini is using the engine oil in the gearbox (perhaps not an ideal solution?).
Valvoline 20W50 "Racing" oil in my gearbox/overdrive.  I drain it and change it every 3000 miles.

As in engine oil Don?

Like everyone else in here, very pleased to hear you're doing OK now.

Yes - As in Engine Oil.

After I was informed that the bone marrow cancer was in remission in mid-December, I had 5 months of ups and downs.  Up for a few days - then down for 3 weeks.  I've been walking 3 to 5 km per day, 4 or 5 times a week, and since March when I was doing 18-22 minutes per km, I'm now down to 10.7 min/km - back to where I was last spring before all this started.  I have worked to get the swimming pool in the garden nice and clean - ready for summer and I have mowed the lawn 4 times so far this year - which tells me I have a lot to be thankful for.  And my hair has grown back.

Two weeks ago, I woke up - and overnight, all had changed for the better.  I felt normal again.  It was as if nothing had ever happened.  The first time in over 9 months.  And everyday has been like that since.

Maybe it's the nice spring weather we're having plus getting the TR out again.  Once again I feel like I'm twenty years old again.

One day at a time.

Don Elliott, Cancer Survivor, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada