Hi , can you tell me how to remove the Lucas distributor from my TR7 with a sprint enine fitted. I removed a bolt from a slide but cannot find any other fixings but it refuses to move.

Cheers

Phil

Many years since I owned a dolly sprint but from memory pull the cap and position to one side. Remove the two mount bolts and simply withdraw the distributor. The distributor doesn't have a 'drive dog' like more conventional types but is driven by a skew gear.

IIRC refitting you need the engine no1 piston at TDC and the vac capsule pointing to the rear. Can't remember at what position the rotor had to be so maybe get the engine at TDC on the firing stroke first so you know where it should end up. As the dizzy is lowed in the rotor will turn.

I used to pull the dizzy out to change the points everytime because of the slightly awkward position!

BTW the sprint was one of my favourite cars. I used to thrash it mercilessly. The only thing I replaced besides service items was the clutch.

When I bought it I had major problems removing the plugs, the PO had fitted those taper seat plugs and strangled them up!! Should have been suspicious there was 3 or 4 broken plug scanners in the boot!!

JFI those plugs are torqued to 6 to 8 lbs ft max. So anti seize on the threads and taper, wind down finger tight then 1/8 of a turn will ensure they are easily removed again.

Hi Dave, Thanks for your post, what I was really after was the location of/and how many bolts hold it in place as I removed the one I could see on the slotted piece , but have since looked at the Rimmers catalogue and there must be one on the opposite side to tackle. there is also an oval shaped plate between the block and distributor, do I have to remove that?

Cheers

Phil

Hi all,,

at long last I removed the distributor and fitted pionts condensor and had to fabricate a small wire as a terminal fell off. Can any one tell me if the terminal touching the internal wall of the distributor by the condensor matters, see photo

Cheers

Philpost-5096-0-10892600-1414701093_thumb.jpg

The only potential problem is the possibility of the terminal restricting the plate from moving as the ignition advances. Maybe you could tweak it a bit with a pair of long nose pliers.

Hi Dave

I will try to move it but the body of the terminal was pushed into that position when I tightened the screw holding the condensor to the plate. Guess I may have to rethink the solution as Rimmers say that small wire is not availble!

Cheers

Phil