Wheel stud removal

I seek advice, please, on the best way of removing the existing studs from the rear hubs. One broke off the other day and that has caused me to ponder the fact that I don't know their age. Changing them is not going to be a terribly expensive exercise and seems a wise precaution.

The obvious course would be to hit the threaded ends hard with a hammer and force them out, possibly putting a nut on the ends first so that they do not become widened. I then started to wonder if I hit the end of a stud where might the shock end up and what might thus be damaged? Hence my uncertainty as to how I should proceed.

For replacement purposes I thought of tapping the new studs through carefully and then putting over the protruding thread a short piece of old gas piping followed by a large 'penny' washer and a nut. I figured that this would allow me to draw the studs through by tightening the nut, or am I completely up the creek?

Thanks in advance,

Alan J

Hi Alan,

your procedure should work OK.

I have a nagging feeling that you may need to loosen the hub and withdraw it slightly to give enough room for extract the studs.

Thanks Neil.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Just fitted longer studs on the rear of my car Alan.

I used a piece of square wood between the rear of the hub flange and one of the nuts securing the brake back plate in situ to take the shock. Handy tool that lump hammer!!!

Agree with Neil, you can do this job on the car but I think you'll need to strip out the brake shoes; not a problem of course.

At the risk of teaching granny, don't forget you'll need tapered head studs and the only place I could find 'em (thanks to the forum) was Jigsaw Racing who offer both standard length and longer.

Best of luck

Rog

Thank you for the very prompt advice given so far. I will check to see that the studs are not welded in.

With regard to new studs I was assuming these were an easily-obtained item from the likes of Moss, Rimmers or James Paddock.

Why, please, am I going to need a different type believed only to be available from Jigsaw?

Alan J

Thank you for the very prompt advice given so far. I will check to see that the studs are not welded in.

With regard to new studs I was assuming these were an easily-obtained item from the likes of Moss, Rimmers or James Paddock.

Why, please, am I going to need a different type believed only to be available from Jigsaw?

Alan J

Alan

They are in stock std studs from all the above, panic ye not.http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-132317

Edited by ntc

Alan

Or try Cambridge Motorsports

Perhaps a half inch longer version if you are considering fitting mini lite wheels or similar in the future

Graze

Hi Alan

I was fitting longer studs to my car which I believe can only be had from Jigsaw (and wrongly assumed you were wanting likewise).

As others have said, if you need standard length then the usual culprits will supply.

All the best

Rog

Thank you all for your help. I am very happy with the usual steel wheels whose appearance has been improved with stainless steel inserts and I am not planning on changing them. I will therefore go for standard length studs. plus new s/s wheel nuts.

Thanks for your help once again.

Alan J