Prop-shafts & rear wheel bearings

Guest Chris Draper

Guest Chris Draper

G'day from my new home on the other side of the world!

Got a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help with:

1. I've replaced my prop-shaft twice now with new (recon?) units from Rimmers & seriously wish I hadn't. In both cases, there's a knocking noise at low revs - anyone know what this may be & if it's fixable? I sent the first one back to Rimmers, but I can't see me sending this one back...

2. There's about 1/16 inch play in my rear wheel bearings. Both sides are the same - the wheels don't rock, but they will move in and out as if the half shafts are sliding in & out of the axle tubes. Naturally I've checked that the half shafts are bolted up, but I'm wondering if there's some kind of shimming issue here. If there is, is it something that's easy to tackle at home?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

By the way, there's not that much I miss from the UK (well OK, apart from pubs & real beer...) but the range of TR parts suppliers is definitely one of them.

Guest simonc
Chris, Hi from Simon @ S+S Preparations, The Rimmer Propshafts are Shortened SD1 Units. I have had customers have no end of problems with these units as all the joints appear to be faulty. Due to these problems we have had NEW propshafts made with Sliding joints and proper U/J,s,The nice thing is that these never need to be changed as they are fully rebuildable. The 1/2 Shafts always have a bit of end float and from what you are saying yours is not excessive. Please Email us with your new details and any questions you may have. All the best Simon