Ignition

Guest Whiterook

Guest Whiterook

Hi All of you experts out there.

I have just purchased a TR4 and just before I tucked it away for the night I turned off the ignition only to find that the red ignition light remained on when the key was removed. Did some basic checks but to no avail so I have disconnected the battery for now. Give me some advice experts?

Guest mrodbert

Welcome to the Forum, TR Ownership, and therefore **** electrics.

If you haven't done so already, get yourself a copy of the blue workshop manual. You WILL need it at some stage and it has the wiring diagram you need. If previous owners haven't mucked around too much you will find it extremely useful and the wiring colours (once you clean off the grime) mostly accurate. They come up regularly on ebay.

To your problem: What I suspect is happening is that one of the live terminals on the ignition switch is shorting to the wire that goes to the ignition light. I would detatch the ignition switch from the dash and put a tester on each of the terminals to see whats happening. If that doesnt work, have a look at the regulator end and check the whole circuit.

My experience has been that there are a number of achilles heels on the electrics, and the ignition switch and head/side light switch are two of them. Obviously the feed to the ignition switch is always live (+12v), but there's a wire that then goes to the light switch and the lights that is also always live and unfused, which means that you can flatten your battery if not careful, and burn out your electrics if either 40 year old switch gives out. On our rally car we have separated and fused the lighting circuit. It also means there's a lot of +12v hanging around there, even with the key out.

If its not any of those then try and see if the lamp is at fault. Actually, given that when we bought our car the indicator lamp was in the ignition light socket and the ignition light was in the indicator socket, and we spent ages trying to work out why, you might want to just check that first.

Hope this helps,

Mark