What have people been up to?

Guest mrodbert

Guest mrodbert

Once again its that time and my copy is needed for TRAction.

I think I know who was on the Ilkley last week and I have some details of other stuff - eg Andy Lane on the Gremlin, but if you've been doing other things let me know.

Also - Anyone doing the Hughes?

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

Im out with Rob Kiff again (provisionally) on the Leukemia Rally on June 26th, either with BST82B or maybe even with ........... wait for it ........... my new steed ........... 3VC, the first of the four works cars !!!!!!!!!

BST is not for sale, before you ask.

Regards

Tony

Hi Mark

Im holding hands with 5 others inc. Neil Revington through a Trust to keep it in the UK and keep it rallying as a car like this should be - real factory TR's very rarely get seen out and about so ive taken a bit of an expensive leap to make sure that 3VC continues to be around for others to see.

Of course I will get absolutely no pleassure from driving about in a very nice original factory TR4 ........

The car underwent a £70k restoration about 10 years ago, aimed at retaining as much of what was left of it as possible, so what is there is either original or an exact replica. Most of the rally bits are there with the exception of the twinmaster and les leston / jaeger le couture clocks, but ill be putting my metal cased twinmaster and my heyer rallymaster in it, together with a few original bits that i have squirrelled away.

Ill have it at home in fleet toward the end of June so join me for a beer and a gawp then if you like.

Unfortunately this means that further major expense work on my next creation will slow up a lot as i am now literally peniless and close to being thrown on on the street by my lovely wife. Ho hum.

Regards

Tony :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Guest mrodbert

Fantastic.

Would love a beer in June to gawp. Mail me some dates and I'll be round.

I can't remember, is 3VC the one that Neil's missus was using to drive the kids to school? I think we saw both of Neil's VC cars when we were down there and they looked fab. Jon and I were both open-mouthed schoolboys again. I also thought the works cars had Speedmasters and Smiths clocks, but I might be wrong. Would love to sink a few beers and discuss works car interiors in any case - as you know my major interest.

Also, which trust do I have to pay into to STOP you rallying it. Given your recent record surely its only a matter of time before it ends up embedded in a wall (about 30 mins into the first night section?). Or are you now a reformed character. :D

Mark (what shade of green is jealousy) Rodbert

How rude ! im sure 'stuff happens' is the phrase ....... given the grins per mile that BST gives I think its done quite well to only have tickled valances and a mildly leant on front wing in 3 years!

Ill get a few dates in June when Ill be working on what needs doing so that we can have a blether.

The cars used a speedpilot (which is still in 3VC), a twinmaster and a Jaeger Le Couture (Les Leston branded) 8 day clock, but these are very hard to read (like the Heuer SuperAutavia as they have dials within dials) hence ill put my Rallymaster (Clock and 12 hour stopwatch) all on a detachable plate as i have done in BST 82B - which ill run the electronic stuff in.

Good luck on the Hughes!

Regards

Tony

Guest mrodbert

Not rudeness, just teasing and jealousy  :D

Ah, clocks and trips all make sense now. The Les Leston multidial clock looks like the Smiths (and the MIG ones at a distance) in the photos. Where did they put the twinmaster? Not much real estate left.

I've also seen period photos with a gauge poking out from under the glovebox bolted on and facing the driver. Any ideas what these were?

Looking forward to June.

Mark

I've also seen period photos with a gauge poking out from under the glovebox bolted on and facing the driver. Any ideas what these were?

Turbo boost gauge?  :D Nitrous level? ???

No need for jealousy Mark, imagine how careful Tony's going to have to be with a museum piece worth as much as a small house, with all repairs charged at Revington rates!! Quite a responsibility.

sorry about the above post, had been logged in as Ade.

cheers, Andy Lane

Too true .......... and it has to be said BST82B is significantly quicker and can be pushed far harder, so guess which TR4 is more fun to push on ......

But what fun to have the choice eh!

T

... only taking the mickey, of course Tony, you are fortunate indeed to have the opportunity to use it .... and I am fortunate to know you so well that you might one day even let me have a short spin just to see what all the fuss is about :D