Fitting Radio

mine was easy... ish, had to take the centre console out, move the wiring harness as far back as it could go, then trim the aperture for the radio as far as it would go width-wise. then chop a bit off each side of the fasia of the radio (and in my case a little off the securing brackets so it just fitted in) it was tight, but can be done. It also of course depends how deep the unit is, but normally its down to tidy wiring to get the depth required.

Tom Pringle

If you read the blurb about my car which is coming up for sale, you will note that I have the same problem. I have a Sony unit in mine which sticks out. Apparently we require a shorter item than the standard. I've been told that they are available. I am interested in what Tom says he has done - I didn't manage it after a lot of effort and some choice language!

Richard

Give me a week I may pull the head unit out and take some pics, as I need to work out how to hook up my MP3 player to the CD changer inputs, the head unit I'm using is a panasonic RDP383N CD unit and I will admit it seems a little short. But as far as I'm aware no shorter than any other modern unit.

Cheers,

Tom Pringle

P.S. I have noticed the RDP383N apears regually on ebay, so may be worth a look out

I was talking to a radio suppiler at Stoneleigh Triumph show and he said that older radio types aren't as deep.  Remember back in 76 there were no cassettes let alone CD players!  You need to shop around for a second hand "period" radio.  If anyone knows where you can buy a new radio that will fit, I'd be interested to know.

There are plenty of the older shorter type of car radios and cassette players around, problem is though that nearly all are AM, so actually are pretty useless for radio reception these days. I had been looking for an FM set for ages, finally found one at Stoneleigh.

I would not want to fit a modern set in my DHC, even if I could get one short enough, would rather have an older one that looks roughly period, and more importantly valueless!

Ray

Guest lemmytr7

I've just spent 3 hours installing an iso loom into the glove box of my TR7. This will enable me to have a modern head unit in the glove box (secure and subtle), with a dummy period unit in the 1 din opening. I have considered wiring the switch on the dummy unit to the iso loom, thus turning the new stereo on with the old one, but i'm scared i'll leave it on and drain the battery!

My next project is to buy a modern stereo control stalk, loom and stalk adapter (for whichever head unit i decide to fit). This will allow me to control the stealth stereo from the steering wheel, with ease ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Greg
While my car is completely stripped, would it be possible to enlarge the area where the radio will fit. The dash is in the loft so I have no idea where the radio will eventually fit but just wondered if it would be poss.