Hello

Can anybody give me any advice?

TR7 dhc standard engine and 5 speed box when I start up from cold 1st gear is really sticky, all other gears are fine.  After a few minutes when engine is warm all's fine.

If it's any help I fitted new clutch slave cylinder and master cyl service kit in the winter and clutch bite does seem a little low at first but again gets better once the engine is warm, but would air in the system make 1st sticky?

My TR7 V8 uses essentially the same box and baulky gears (especially 1st gear) has been the norm when the car is cold. The problem is lessened by using a high quality oil. There may also be some friction reducing additives, but I haven't used them as the baulkiness doesn't last long. I would also advise (for longetivity) that you let your car warm up before giving it some and hurrying through the gears.

Regards - Richard

Triumph/Rover found this problem and changed the gearbox oil to automatic transmission fluid which is thinner.  I find that double de-clutching for the first few changes when cold sorts the problem.

Change the oil if you aren't sure when it was last done.  There's been much discussion around gearbox oils.  It is normal for the 'box to be a bit stiff when cold though, even with ATF.  I tried a semi-synthetic 75/90 in a previous TR7V8 and it was no better/worse.  

Malcolm.

Guest BLBoy
I have read on another site that when changing from ATF to 75W/90 or similar that the box should be flushed, I would imagin the same to be true if going the other way, is there any truth in this? I intend to change my gbox oil this year and am lloking at puuting synthetic oil with a 'W' weighting of around 75, should be more 'robust' than ATF I would have thought which sound like a quick fix from BL in the day.
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffremj

I intend to change my gbox oil this year and am lloking at puuting synthetic oil with a 'W' weighting of around 75, should be more 'robust' than ATF I would have thought which sound like a quick fix from BL in the day.

Don't do it. I changed from ATF to Mobil1 75W synthetic gear oil and I couldn't select the gears properly - I had to drain it all out.

Don't forget that if the oil is too thick, the plastic gearbox oil pump will fail and the gearbox may last only another few miles if this happens.

In summary - ATF is the only gear oil to use in a TR7 or TR8 in the UK.

Mike, TR7 owner and user since 1983.