Hi All

I was chuffed when installed new high torque starter until she fired up and sounded like a tractor. Symptoms are black smoke from exhaust and misfiring. Then died off.took plugs out,thick with soot.noticed choke operation was getting stuck,so resulted in flooding. Cleaned plugs up but still no joy despite feeling on a couple of occasions she wanted to spark. Always been reliable starting until this choke incident.any ideas to spring her to life,thanks dan

Daniel

SU's ? I had a similar problem with LNK, the choke return was sticking, resulting in a massive flood and eventually she died. New plugs, ensure the the chokes have returned, put your hand under the bowls and push up if required. Crank with no choke if road side, but if in workshop with NEW (dry/clean) plugs she should fire up

You then need to adjust/ clean/ oil the choke cable, spring returns etc to ensure smooth operation

Fixed mine 3 years ago but still paranoid about it

Have faith, Fours ALWAYS start...........given time :lol:

Agreed, mine started on the first crank after priming carbs, checking sparks, timing etc after 30 years !!!

OK the whole road was covered in smoke for the first 5 minutes, but then it cleared, and she was running just fine !

(& still is)

Bob.

Odd question perhaps: when you installed the new starter, did your hands / arms worked their way around the manifold or did you remove the whole carbs + manifold assembly? If so, I guess that something has moved / got shifted resulting in the stucking / bad starting. Check that - together with the tips above about the plugs. The whole choke assembly is pretty fragile I think. If you don't rectify any fault there, things will still be bad when starting with the new plugs.

Menno

Thanks guys will let her dry out and put new plugs in.I have strombergs,the linkage between the carbs was rotating when the choke pulled out,but then not rotating back when pushed back in.I will clean it up.maybe right and I hit it when taking the old starter motor out. The top nut to tighten the starter motor was near on impossible to get on as no spanner big enough to get down a 3cm gap.also have to laugh,took of fuel pump glass bowl as lots of rubbish in there.did not account for the volume of unleaded coming back from the carbs.mad dash for a container and back on with the bowl ensuring not to crack it when tightening.I love tr's!