Hi

the procedure is quite straightforward, but I'd advise filling in as much of the forms as you can, then taking them to your local DVLA centre and asking for help to complete them.

You don't need an MOT - you'll be given an exemption form to fill out and sign to say the car is pre-1960 when you take your forms.

Take good pics of the car and a closeup of the bulkhead showing the chassis number and other plates with you, and get a Heritage Certificate or a "birth certificate" from Bill Piggot as in the front of TRAction and you shouldn't have any problem if my experience is anything to go by.

I found the DVLA local office very helpful - remember to take your chequebook as you may get your docs approved at your first visit like I did!

Yes, that's the form - if you go online to the DVLA site, and look for info sheet INF148 and V355/5 they explain the procedure and info you'll need to get together. Lots of the parts of the form don't apply to our kind of cars - don't worry about anything you don't know the answer to, the DVLA folks will help you.

Remember you'll need the US Title document, your purchase receipt, the document showing all taxes have been paid to Customs, full road insurance certificate (or cover note) , car production record, as well as documents to prove your ID and home address with you when you go to DVLA..

Your UK dealer should be able to keep you right too, if they regularly import cars from the US.

Hope that helps,

John

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to take your MOT too, the MOT station will do the test using the Chassis number, I have done this several times at my local DVLA office, all was then done as JayeM says quite easily.

Be quick with your local DVLA office! we have already lost our local Chelmsford one in the last two weeks!

The new system is already not working and an £80.00 transfer fee has gone missing!

Life is going to get difficult.

Cheers

Ian