Head Case

Guest JetAge

My TR7 is currently running with an 1850 Dolomite engine installed. I have recently obtained a new 2L head which I intended to use, having read that the 2L and 1850 heads are interchangeable. However following discussions at Stoneleigh I am no longer sure that they can be swapped. A chat with a stall holder and since with one of our main suppiers now causes me to think that there might be differences in the machining of the 2L head that would lower compression if used on the 1850 and that some of the waterways dont line up. Does anyone have any experience of trying to use an 1850 head on a 2L---- and vice versa.

Fair comment Andy, but I already have a spare 2L in the corner of garage waiting to go in. However for the moment the 1850 is running perfectly and it seems a shame to change it yet!------------and the unit looks exactly like the 2L, only difference being the engine no.

So what I was asking was can we use an 1850 head on a 2L block ( and vice versa)?  An article some time ago in Practical Classics said,

' late Dolomite 1850 cylinder heads are the best of the lot because of the superior design of their combustion chambers. Theyre identified  by a suffix 'B' on their casting numbers'

But will it fit a 2L block?  if so, useful to know as I'm told the supply of new 2L heads is drying up.

I don't know, it's not something I have tried, they both look the same, I guess valve sizes could be different, also check valve length and piston height for clearance, what you need are scrap heads for each model, strip them down & compare them, S&S or Robsport will probably be able to answer your question though.
Guest dolomiteman

There is a guy in the Dolomite Club who runs TR7 engines in 1850 Dolomites (getting our own back for all the Sprint ones you guys have nicked!) and he reckons on this:

http://p206.ezboard.com/fthetri....9.topic

As it says early on in that thread, I have three spare 1850 heads going begging for the equivalent of their scrap value (though they are far from scrap) if anyone can use one (or three!). They're nice and convenient for collection in the midlands too...