Fuel pump problems

Hi Jo,

I've found Facet reliable over many years, but a decent V8 needs red or blue top, not silver . . . .

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/facet-fuel-pumps-facet-cylindrical-pump-12v-24v/

and an underbonnet Filter King, 85mm not 67mm

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/malpassi-pro-fuel-carburettor-pressure-regulators-malpassi-filter-king-fuel-regulators/

plus a decent filter between tank and pump

http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/sytec-fuel-filters-swirl-pots-water-separators-bullet-filters/

Ethanol fuel has a lot to answer for, it's good at knocking out pumps one way or another. Mixing E5 with old fuel has a tendency to result in gelatinous gloop in the bottom of the tank, and of course ethanol content attracts water and then drops out of solution. Neither by-product is exactly beneficial to pumps. Similarly flexible pipes can be internally dissolved, let alone what ethanol can do to some plastics, rust and sealant within a tank. Old pumps can suffer seal failure if exposed to ethanol.

Not everyone agrees with my views on this, but then not everyone has had the experience of removing and emptying three TR fuel tanks and weighing up the evidence, not to mention the knackered pumps (of different manufacturers) and clogged filters (ditto) that kicked off the investigations.

I'm not too concerned about theoretical discussion regarding what might or might not happen, I'm more concerned with the practical aspects of what has actually occurred.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Jo,

I would also look at Facet pumps - I have been running with a Facet pump for the last twenty years without problems.

What do you have now and what stopped working? some pumps (including the Facet pumps) have internal filters which need cleaning from time to time.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian

I have something from S&S which I fitted in Mst 2011. When the ignition is turned on there is usually about 20 clicks of the pump being primed.

Now there is about 1 or 2 but mostly none.

It's probably lack of use.

It failed a month ago but a tap with a hammer got it going. That won't work either (the effect, not the hammer itself).

Got a new one on order overnight. Car due into the bodyshop today, it'll be tomorrow pm.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Wayne S

My experiences concur with Alec's advice above 100%. I also run the setup he suggests albeit on an Edlebrock not a Holley. The new facet red top competition pumps have filters and diaphragms that are ethanol resistant.

My experiences concur with Alec's advice above 100%. I also run the setup he suggests albeit on an Edlebrock not a Holley. The new facet red top competition pumps have filters and diaphragms that are ethanol resistant.

Hi Wayne

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll get one and keep it as a spare until the new one packs up.

Regards

Jo

Hi Mike,

Yes, the facet pump set up is fine - my standard TR8 set up with twin Strombergs has run fine on Facet pumps since I bought it nearly twenty years ago.

regards

Ian

Hi Mike,

the Facet blue or red pumps will fuel one heck of a lot of horses, sufficient flow for a brace of 'cooking' V8s - I'd imagine a silver top will more than suffice for a standardish Rover V8. The Filter King regulator is helpful in managing fuel flow as well as filtration, the pre-filter helps extend pump life and reliability.

The Facet pump does, by the way, benefit from a healthy sized electrical feed and earth.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks guys. I intend to do a limited resto and as the carbs need a dose of looking at the fuel supply would probably benefit as well. I was going to sell the car but the old bones are more comfortable in the 7 for longer journeys. The 6 will be kept for shorter trips although I do like pottering about France in it - just the slog down to Dover is the bugbear