Trip meter problem

Hi, All, looking for advice on yet another problem with my new TR6.

While the speedo, odometer and trip meter seem to be working ok, I can't get the trip meter to reset to zero - the numbers wind back, but don't stop at zero, just keep going round, whichever way the reset knob is turned.

Is there a trick, or am I into some more expense?!

Thanks for any help.

John

You need to push the "knob" up to reset the trip meter, not sure what the behavior will be if you fail to do that, perhaps just random rotation of whatever digit catches. When working correctly the digits will align and you continue rotation until the line of zeros appear. You will feel the resistance when it is working correctly.

Stan

Hi, Stan,

Thanks for the info.

I think my reset knob may be different from yours - mine is located beneath the dashboard and connected to the rear of the speedo by a cable. The knob can be pulled out or pushed in and rotating the knob causes the figures to turn.

However, the figures move in a random fashion whichever way you turn the knob and go on past zero, though a bit of resistance can be felt as the zero goes by.

I feel another bill coming on!

John

John, what you describe is the standard TR6 trip reset cable although it sounds like yours isnt working properly. These cables are often broken because someone thought that it could just be pulled or levered out of the case (it cant) and once the end that snaps into the case has broken, the operation of the cable is challenged because the end at the case is no longer fixed.

If the cable looks ok then most likely an internal problem.

Stan

Stan, thanks again - the cable seems ok, so I think the problem must be internal. Just wondered if I was missing a trick somewhere.

Ah well, the trip meter will have to wait while I sort out my oscillating distributor!

Best wishes,

John