Wood repair on capping rail, near grab handle

The wooden member of my front capping rail has split where two of the wood screws for the grab handle go onto it. There is a small wedge of wood that has fallen out right where the screw hole is. The wood around that area looks very sound, but I don't think gluing in a piece will be strong enough for mounting the grab handle. The wood under the front capping rail is in three sections, and the grab handle mounts on the right hand end of the center wood section (my car is LHD). I have considered making a new center section out of Ash wood, but that sounds a bit dicey, what with taking it all out, putting the three sections together, etc. I have considered welding some pieces of metal with holes to the grab handle to widen the mounting area, and then fastening it through the wider part so the screws go into good wood, but again that sounds a bit crude. Any ideas?

Cheers

Dan

hi dan,

I had the same issues with mine and I would suggest that glue/filler is perfectly acceptable repair.

If you make sure that the split/missing piece area is free from splinters so that the filler gets a good bond to it will be as strong as the wood. The 3 sections are complex and not easy to make a replacement that unless you get a good cabinet /furniture restorer to make it for you. No offence to your carpentry skills.

i have been very impressed with an American product called J-B Weld, adhesion, file and drill capacity is the best I have seen. Suggest that you clean the hole, coat thread of the screw for the handle with vasiline or silicon grease and set into the hole and fill round with JB weld. After it has started to go off carefully unscrew the fixing screw and leave to go fully off and then dress with Dremel/file.

You do not say if on or off the car but easier if it is off the car.

Just my take and how I would do it and have done.

Rgds

Rod