Steering rack rubber mount play

Hi

Just finished installing new radiator and replaced the timing case oil.

When repositioning the steering rack I have had no end of trouble trying to compress the rubber mounts.

Did see in the forum to use a couple of Mole grips. This did work.

So put everything back together and lowered the car off the stands. Though I would turn the steering wheel to see if there was any play in the rubber mounts when turning the rack. Found there is a bit of play, few mm, when going left to right and right to left. I cannot get the lock nuts any tighter. Is this normal?

Did not notice any before and did not really look.

Thanks

A few mm sounds a lot to me. Have you tried the poly mounts? When I fitted these about 6 years ago, the play was barely 1mm. Before that on the old, shagged out, rubber mounts it was about 6mm leading to interesting characteristics at speed!

Perhaps a new pair of poly mounts is in order?

Thanks for the comments David.

The rubbers are in good condition, but perhaps you are right poly might be better. Also looking at the good parts sold aluminium mounts too.

Took the car for a spin and it handles no different. Perhaps I am just used to the play as it may have been there all along. Still now I have noticed it I want to get it addressed.