Wiper/Washer switches

Hi all,

I know there is are a lot of posts on this in the forums but non specifically address my question so any help much appreciated. I have just had my dash re-veneered to a lovely walnut burr, and have completely refurbed all my gauges, including adding chrome bezels. As a result although still functional I am wanting to order both a new wiper and washer switch of the Lucas variety, as these sport a chrome surround...

I am aware that this requires modification to the backing plate of the dash, but this is all out now and would be easy to address. My question is, are these Lucas switches directly compatible with the electronics already in place, and will they function the same. They are also not cheap so before I order them if anyone has experience swapping these I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks!

If you do not want the chrome edging just rub it with 'T' Cut. - the paintwork restorer.

That is how we made TR6 air vent nozzles out of post '73 ones with the chrome ring edging.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi, I recently replaced the washer and wiper switch on my CP. I filed the backplate and sprayed the chrome surround satin black after masking the switch front. the wiring as I remember was a direct swop - I did check the contacts with a meter first. The washer has 2 terminals and the wiper has 4. I think the terminal numbers are in the same order as well.

Regards,

Vince.

Hi, I recently replaced the washer and wiper switch on my CP. I filed the backplate and sprayed the chrome surround satin black after masking the switch front. the wiring as I remember was a direct swop - I did check the contacts with a meter first. The washer has 2 terminals and the wiper has 4. I think the terminal numbers are in the same order as well.

Regards,

Vince.

Great thanks a lot - its funny how many people want to get rid of the chrome surrounds - I'm changing mine so that I can have them! :)

Hi Vince

Well its your TR and you can do what you want to it!! As the old saying goes!

I prefer the switches the way they should look and thats a black surround along with the black surround Smiths early instruments. The later "corporate image" instruments are, dare I say it, a little common looking! IMHO that is!

I would also hang out for original Clear Hooter switches and yes, they do crop up on Ebay and Ebay.com a lot more regularly than people seem to want to admit to? Once you have filed out the rectangular holes to make room for the non-standard type there's no going back.

However its your choice, just trying to advise.

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

my switches were originally black, that's why I sprayed them that colour. I needed some there and then, Clear Hooters were not available at that time so I bought Lucas ones. Both mine had broken, so technically making it illegal to drive with inoperable washers and wipers.

cheers,

Vince.