What's scrap and what's not?

Like many of us I have a collection of rusty old bits and could do with the space in the garage. Given that some TR7/8 original spares are becoming increasingly rare, it's difficult to know what might be repairable in future and what is simply too far gone to be of much use, for example double bulge bonnet, spare wheel well, fuel tanks complete with pin holes (impossibly dangerous to repair I assume - I bought a new maunfactured one from Fitchetts). How bad do old springs have to be before they are liable to break?

An example of people restoring parts came about last week when I resurrected a Qualcast rotovator and put the old dead carb on e-bay. It didn't go for much but it helped someone out somehow. :)

Hi Keith,

given the steadily reducing number of TR7/8s, and their current limited value, it's worthwhile trying to pass on parts - Wedge restoration is uneconomic, but if a good panel can be made out of 2 or 3 rusty ones it becomes more realistic. Worn springs are better than no springs if an old one breaks and money is tight.

Quite a few of my old used parts have found new homes in recent years for the odd beer or 99p on ebay, which is more effort and less return than taking them down the scrapyard - but might have saved the odd Wedge or two.

Cheers,

Alec