Gearbox Remote

Guest hodgie

Upon reinstalling my V8 and 5 Speed gearbox. The engine is lovely but for some unknown reason the 'gate' to reverse gear has 'disappeared'. Obviously this makes selecting first gear very difficult. Does anyone have any idea why this may have happened or how to fix it??

The gearbox was fine when it came out, has been taken off one engine and put on another. I can't envisage how this problem arose.

There is a horseshoe shaped spring that pulls the lever to the 3/4 gate position. The total gearlever travel is limited by two bolts that adjust to stop you overthrowing the lever, beyond 5 one way & R the other. The detent for R is kept by the small cup that bolts down to hold the lever in. To get the gear lever out you would have to bend the spring out of the way of the two pegs (one each side of the lever) & undo the single bolt holding the cup down. If the spring has not been put back as was, it is possible to get this spring between the lever peg & the limiting bolt. This would then prevent the lever from going far enough over to get R. If the cup wasn't secured down properly then there would be no detent felt, which is my understanding of your problem???

If you remove the gaiter etc from the centre console, you will be able to get into this arrangement without removing the box from the car. You would have had to do all this to remove the lever to remove the gearbox anyway.

Best of luck!

Andy

Andy,

When you speak of the 'cup', what are we referring to?

I have the assembly apart and the horseshoe spring which brings the lever back to centre is fine and there is no obstruction, but it's the lack of detent as you state that is the issue. The horseshoe spring holds the lever in place fine but there is no resistance engaging reverse, meaning that reverse is selected nstead of first!

Are you referring to the hole into which the lever slides to action the internal rods??

Thanks for your assistance.

Hodgie

Its a little while since i had it all in bits, but the cup i mean is the upside down egg cup, that holds the gear lever down into the remote housing. it is held down by a small bolt at the back which is often stripped. (i had to tap it out to a larger size). If this isn't held down properly i seem to remember the detent doesn't work properly. If i get a chance tonight i will have a look at the manual or my spare box & see what else is required. I have had the smae problem, but i cannot remember what i did to sort it.

Cheers

Andy