Plugs & running on 5

Oh dear, more problems yet again!

Took the 6 out today for a run to the local show, only 5 miles down the road, ran perfectly. Left the show & ran into town then home, 1 mile from home & she spluttered onto 5, limped home, left her for two hours & out again in the cool of the evening, still running on 5!

Plugs out when I limped back & this is what I found:

plug no's

1. electrode half grey half black
  2. ditto
  3. grey all over
  4. black as the ace of spades
  5. grey all over
  6. grey all over

Does this mean anything to anybody please?

Much appreciated in advance.

Nick.

Nick.

Assuming that you are running a PI unit - I would suggest that either the metering unit is running "rich" or possibly one or two of the injectors are not spraying correctly (possibly dribbling / leaking due to worn inner seals - especially if old rubber type and not Vitron type).

Also check that the metering unit enrichment lever (choke lever to me) is fully "off" otherwise this will over fuel the metering unit.

here's a link to the spark plug colours, of various states of good and bad problems on an engine.

http://www.triumphspitfire.nl/plugs.html

regards

Pat

Nick.

Assuming that you are running a PI unit - I would suggest that either the metering unit is running "rich" or possibly one or two of the injectors are not spraying correctly (possibly dribbling / leaking due to worn inner seals - especially if old rubber type and not Vitron type).

Also check that the metering unit enrichment lever (choke lever to me) is fully "off" otherwise this will over fuel the metering unit.

here's a link to the spark plug colours, of various states of good and bad problems on an engine.

http://www.triumphsp...e.nl/plugs.html

regards

Pat

Sorry pat, should have said it's a PI & also refurbed MU + injectors + pipes as well.

The black sooted #4 plug is serviced by a new injector as well.

I may take all the injectors out & blast them with an air line.

I also thought it may be the dizzy cap? I haven't had time to go any firther than take the plugs out, I'm just wondering if the cap has a bad contact or something?

Nick.

Hello Nick

I think it sounds like an air lock. The way to check is when running all of the lines should pulse. if not take out that injector put in a plastic jar and shake it agaist the jar. this will clear it until it sprays again.

Lee

Hello Nick

I think it sounds like an air lock. The way to check is when running all of the lines should pulse. if not take out that injector put in a plastic jar and shake it agaist the jar. this will clear it until it sprays again.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I'll be trying that next weekend hopefully!

Thanks

Nick.