V8 remote filter baseplate

Guest hodgie

Yet another set back in the 4.0 litre rebuild. The mocal oil pump baseplate take-off (for remote filter and cooler) that fit the 3.5 perfectly (sd1 front end) fouls the cross bolt on the new block.

Is there any nifty way around this, surely I don't have to revert to no oil cooler and no remote filter??

You could use the front end of the engine off the SD1 as i did, however this loses the advantage of the crank driven oil pump etc. I went this way because i bought a short engine and didn't have any of the new front end bits. Also i had existing solutions for the alternator, pulleys etc. You simply need a spacer to mount the bottom pulley in the right place on the crank, as otherwise the crank is too long.

Cheers

Andy

Ta Andy,

I am actually using the SD1 timing cover but running a remote filter and cooler. The Oil pressure relief spring bolt on the oil pump baseplate fouls the front cross bolt.

Solution was extremely kindly provided by John Eales who had the good grace to lend me a tool to bore the block around the front cross bolt to accept an allen stud (as fitted to the rear mains cap). This allows enough clearance fo rthe baseplate and hey presto, front cover on!

Thank you to John for saving me a huge amount of hassle.

Hodgie