A type overdrive....part found to be missing on removal

My A type overdrive simply dropped out when driving along in top gear about 12 months ago, up until then it had been working fine.

This has now gone on long enough and I thought that I'd have a look at seeing whether it could be rectified without having to remove the gearbox.

I am quite happy that the solenoid is working correctly, the clunk click is clearly audible.

I decided that the oil could do with a change and drained it off and removed and cleaned the filters and magnetic drain plug.

While at this stage it seemed logical to have a look at the operating valve and having removed the plug I used a magnet to withdraw the spring, plunger, ball and valve.

It was at this point that I discovered the plunger was not present !

I have brought the job to a halt while I ponder the significance of this.

Not being the most knowledgeable person around I simply have no idea what the symptoms of the plunger being missing are likely to be!

Can anyone throw any light on this for me perhaps?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

Winston

For a start download the two parts on A-type overdrives from here:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain-index.shtml

This will show you all the parts and how to do it. I've got other stuff including a workshop manual but actually used these guides more than anything else.

These A-types are considerably easier to take apart than a gearbox. The only hard bit is pulling the tail-shaft bearings because they are so tight. The fluid bits are easy. Be careful with the spring!

Al.

The obvious thing if the plunger is missing is that the spring wont bear on the ball as hard. This may stop the ball sealing the hole at end of the valve or stop it seating in the casing.

The workshop manual gives a diagonostic procedure. Try moving the operating-lever by hand to see if its connected to the solenoid.

Al.

the plunger missing above the ball and spring wont stop the overdrive working.more likely to work all the time.

run car with one wheel of ground and see if oil comes out of the hole.if so pump is working.

richard

Edited by rpurchon