UAC Retro

Guest mrodbert

Guest mrodbert

The countdown has begun. By Friday we'll be at the start, just outside Belfast, and on our way to Westport for 3 days of fun and frolics. TR4Tony says the social side is just as much of an endurance event as the rally itself so expectations have been set.

So far only 2 of the 3 TRactor crews are taking part - Tony and Terence in the blue 4 and Jon and I in our white monster that sounds like a biplane; Andy Lane's red 4 is the missing one. However, we will fly the TRactor flag as best we can, and if any other TRs are making the trip let us know and we'll make up a team. Remember the TRactors are the unofficial works team of this forum :)

Mark

See you there - im on the 16.05 to Dublin and then a squirt up to Belfast. Be at scrutineering in Lisburn by 08.00 latest !! Ill have my mobile in the car 07771 820730

Regards

Tony

Jon, Tony, Mark, Terence - Ade and I are well jealous :angry: but the TR is in several hundred pieces and will hopefully be ready in time for the Rally of the Tests.

Finally got to the bottom of my engine/power delivery problems - valve timing was 17 deg out :angry: so now I'm wondering if I really DID need to ditch the Webers - hey ho!! Anyway, front and rear suspension now completely rebuilt with negative camembert (i.e. got rid of the cheese-like bushes!), reverted to original type calipers/discs, fixed leaking rear axle seal, fixed exhaust, wrapped exhaust manifold, etc. etc. - it will be a different car - hopefully!

Anyway - GOOD LUCK guys - keep the TR flag flying for us - we'll certainly be there next year!! And don't forget the hangover cures. :P

cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy,

It was the first time out with kevin and I must say I have learnt an awful lot. We picked up alot of penalties on the first regularity( it was plotted correctly but we somehow missed a bit on the route).

After spending some time on the brakes over the last few weeks, yet again my pedal to the floor problem materialised itself on the first test. So careful driving was needed after that!!!

Anyway yet another rally thoroughly enjoyed and thanks to Kevin Lawrence.

When is the next one?

Jim

Very little Guiness left in Westport for sure. A lot of my tyres and bits of my gearbox and RH front wing also scattered about .... but BST made it all the way round (23rd o/a I think) and got me home last night after nearly 1800 miles and with no reverse gear.

Great rally - John and Mark did well, Terence and I did well except for the Friday where we had a few problems on the regularity ........... but the good news is that Terry Pickering and Anthony Preston won the event in Terry's TR3 !!! again won on the regularities although Terry did drive very well on the tests, with only one line fault as I could see and only seconds behind Eamon Byrne's Mini on all but the tightest of the tests. Anthony's navigation was just awesome and I dont think ive seen anyone more capable in action. He was the guy who organised the Targa Rusticana so some heavy respect from me to both of them because that was a stonking rally too.

My mission was to do a lot better on the tests and I managed it largely with only 4 line faults and one Max (caused by a wrong slot over a line - so call it a line fault ......!) and some pretty reasonable times for a TR. I was particularly p~~~~d off with that one as it wasnt a difficult test. The longer tests were the quickest for me, a reflection on the way the car is im afraid.

Story of the weekend for me has to be my tyres, the fronts wore out on Friday night on the night navigation .... unbeknown to me until I approached a tight LH at speed (late again!), whipped the tail out a bit, steered in ....... and drifted all 4 wheels round the corner and parked the front wing on a farmyard wall. Minimal damage (nothing that a hammer and some paint (code 26) wont fix fortunately .... although its beyond my skill if I want it done right). At this point Terence winced .... when i did it again about 300m, this time into a field he got decidedly cross. At this point I sussed that the tyres had gone off in a big way ....... at least it was only twice!

Gearbox thing was interesting and maybe one to watch for. last test, tried a nose throw coming out of reverse to sprint to the finish and obviously did something ..... probably broke the reverse selector lever as I switched across the box under power (lots of ...... oops) ..... whimpish whine when attempting to engaged goback cog ..... much p~~~~doffness but not terminal. I think its the little lever attached to the rail as the revs. light wont go on (activated by the sol switch) which means that the box is not engaging, as opposed to the thing to be engaged being terminally rogered ..... I hope!.

Andy and Jim you just have to do this one - not expensive for what it is.

Regards

Tony

Andy and Jim you just have to do this one - not expensive for what it is.

Ha ha  :D well done guys! Yep, can't wait for next year - it's certainly on our list of "must do" rallies.

Tony, you did say you needed new tyres at the end of the Targa, ... so no surprises then  :D

cheers, Andy

Speaking about tyres. I am wondering which tyres you guys are using in these rally's. M&S, Road, Emjo....? Speaking about Emjo's, what can one expect as the average km or mi you can do with a set and are they good in winter conditions?

My Emjo's did about 4000 mixed miles from tootling to the shops (ahem!) to full on stuff. £50 each.

The word I hear is that Avon CR6 ZZ's are the best by a long way, scrubbed to 4mm for racing (2 compounds use the hardest unless you need mega stickiness = low life) - £125 each. Apparently fabulous in the wet, excellent in the dry.

Colway Road plus highly though of - and forget the **** about remoulds shedding carcasses - if ever anyone pushed a set of Colways to the limit I just did and they got me home with minimum excitement. Id have them again, but think Ill try the roadplus tyre for mainly tarmac events.

Also highly regarded are Dumnlop SP4's and SP82's - a bit blocky and better when worn down a bit but an excellent tyre for tarmac and OK on loose - £85 each.

I dont know the story about loose tyres but ive used SP4's on snow and real gruel and they were good - I dare say i wont do this sort of think so for me ill be looking at the Roadplus, SP82's or if i sell a pile of spares at Sandown this weekend a set of very shiny Avons - CR6zz just sounds so mean!!!!!!

Regards

Tony

For sale - set of 5 part worn tyres - one careless owner. Black with yellow bits. Trendy smooth strip across circumference - idea beginners slicks. Call for details ......

Speaking about tyres. I am wondering which tyres you guys are using in these rally's. M&S, Road, Emjo....? Speaking about Emjo's, what can one expect as the average km or mi you can do with a set and are they good in winter conditions?

Hi Rudi

I used a set of Emjos on LeJog - that's about 2,500 miles and they were fine for just about everything we threw at them, next rally was Tour of Cheshire - and they were TERRIBLE! Swapped them for a set of Colway Road Plus Formulas (the stickier version) and they are brilliant, Ade has put these on his roadgoing TR4. For mostly tarmac events they are perfect, but may be a bit suspect in the wet, not bad on gravel but tend to let go in a ... how shall I put this ... not very progressive manner  :D

On my Mexico, that I use in preference to the TR for nocturnal historic rallyies which use lots of rough/rutted/muddy whites/fields for the selectives, I have the Colway Rally Plus Formula (an M&S type tyre) - absolutely brilliant, and not at all bad on tarmac - OK, you're never going to lift an inside front wheel (which you can on the Road Plus on the Mexico), but for general stuff they're well up to the job.

cheers

Andy

I've been very impressed with the roadplus. Buy them direct from Colway - they deliver nextday for next to nothing and at £38 ish per tyre, you can't go wrong.

They're garuanteed for the life of the tyre (until the tread has worn past legal - sorry Tony, no refund for you!) and rated up to "H" (135mph I think).

Cheerski

Adey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...