Water Pump Madness

All,

First a big thank you for the forum. It's a been tremendous help as I start getting my '78 DHC going.

Now I've stopped the valves digging to Australia through the pistons, my anger is directed at the waterpump.

Water was spewing out of the famous slot under the pump. So I've got the cover off and unscrewed the nut and nothing is coming out. I've also screwed on a bigger washer and hit it so hard with my slide hammer that the handle has come off. Finally, I've attached a hook and winched the front of the car up on the nut and jigged the car back and forth - and -nothing.

My next plan is to set fire to the garage and deny all knowledge.

Before I get the keroscene, and more ideas?

Ben

Ben

I had to extract the water pump on my Dolly for the same reason - same as the TR7 and Stag I believe. As the 'book' informs, the bolt in the top of the pump is LH thread and the p/p requires to be turnd anti-clockwise whilst lifting... I didn't have a slide hammer, but used a suitably sized ring spanner under the LH bolt, and (protecting the p/p housing area) carefully and successfully levered the p/p out... I did need to tun the p/p at the same time as exerting the extraction process...

Good luck!

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Hi,

What part of the world are you ? I have a slide hammer that srews into the LH threaded bolt in the top of the pump, will remove the pump. Trouble is will poss leave the bearing cage behind, but can be removed with aid of 3 legged puller

Cheers John,

Hi Ben,

Picture of said slide hammer, Rimmers etc sell them.

headlamps009.jpg

Used on quite a few pumps now and never failed, as i said will sometimes leave the outer 'cage' behind.

Worth checking the bush in the block that the pump run's in. Found a few of these worn in my time.

Cheers John

Edited by john 215
  • 2 weeks later...