Engine compression.145,145,150,175,160,162.

A little update from my previous posts,just had engine comp test results are.no1 145,no2 145,no3 150,no4 175,no5 160,no6 162 with number 6 plug oiled.These figures are to inconsistent so what is it likely to be,the mechanic is going to remove the head next to see where the oil could be coming from,do these figures look worrying or might it be something simple.Any advice will be passed onto my mechanic if its something you feel it may be,cheers folks.

First, Im curious how the readings were taken..... cold or hot engine?

Second, I wouldnt whip off the head so soon without ascertaining the cause for these inconsistent readings. There are quite a few things you can discover with the engine still together. Also, did you visually check for blue smoke in the exhaust on a cold/hot engine?

Im happy to be corrected by those who know more... standard TR6 engine with a 9.5 CR should typically read around 165psi. within a 10% range things are acceptable.

So if we agree that 1,2,3 are on the lower side, then squirt some engine oil into the cylinders and crank it again to check if the reading increases. If it does, then its worn rings. If there is no change, then either head gasket or valve seal. 145-150 isnt terrible if its not smoking.

In my view 4, 5, 6 are acceptable readings. But you mention 6 plug is oiling. Normally it would point to piston rings. Given that the pressure reading seems ok I might suspect valve stem guides. Check the reading again. If it repeats pretty sure valve guide. Dont know how else oil could foul the plug. Again, if it isnt smoking leave it be.

What does your mech want to look at after he removes the head? Your staring at an engine job right away once its off!!

Over to the others for their views.

Sarajit

PS: Back in India, for the cylinder that was oiling we would either put in a hot plug or simply a socket and drive another 100k miles B)