Tyres for Tr4 - Which size / Type?

I don't think you'll find Cints listed for any TR application, not as OE tyres anyway, except just possibly Wedges ?

Probably a good thing too. An Italian racer pal of mine in the 70s used to call Cinturato 'skinyourarseole' . . . . along with Xs the best rubberised laxative known to man, more effective than a vindaloo washed down with syrup of figs. He had a rare turn of phrase.

I don't recall XZXs being an OE fitment on any TR, and in any case I think they were a 70s rather than 60s product - and TR5s and 6s generally used XAS, Dunlop if there was a supply problem.

XZX tyres lasted for many tens of thousands of miles, which was most unfortunate given that it took only a few tens of miles to realise that you'd made a bum choice of tyre - unless, of course, you were a fleet manager looking to keep in with the bean counters.

Cheers,

Alec

Having read this and the above posts, I realise that when I mentioned XZX.., I really meant XAS. I had these, 165's, on my 5 when I bought it. At various points I experimented with 185 something or others.., and also ... when a load of Jaguar XJ6 tyres.., 205/70's appeared on the market... I tried them.

I returned to to the XAS's. The others , for me, ruined the balance and feel of the car in daily use.

Chris, we're talking road tyres here not race tyres ! ;)

Nothing like mixing up your XZX and your XAS . . . . . you'd soon know which was which on a wet roundabout !!! :lol:

But yes, for an IRS TR there is nothing to touch an XAS, it just doesn't get any better than that.

But hey, let's spend thousands galore on the body and paint, then scrimp by on just fifty quid a corner for the set of rubber. After all, it's not a driving machine any more, it's an investment, so does it really matter ?

I followed a TR6 through the lanes today, lovely looking machine in BRG, beautiful. On XAS too. Tiptoe through the tulips wasn't the word, I was trying to crack on, Panzer champing at the bit behind this mobile chicane. Eventually I barged past and disappeared over the horizon. Some time later I was pouring industrial quantities of diesel into the Bavarian Bruiser when our hero appears, all upset at my having offered him w*nk*r motions as I'd motored past. I mean, Panzer isn't a sports car for crying out load, it's a bloody great tow barge. This well spoken 40 something explained that my rate of knots was likely to throw up stones to chip his expensive paintwork, that's why he was driving in the middle of the road to avoid the nearside gravel, and my overtaking at 80 with two wheels on the grass was downright inconsiderate. Jeez, get a life sonny. More blathering about appreciating investments and ignorant middle aged hippies in overpowered vans. That's when I got seriously stroppy, and explained the facts of life. He's probably still recovering his mental equilibrium.

Preserving the marque. It's a sports car. Driving machine. So drive it. It's not a ruddy alternative investment commodity for futures trading - a one foot cube in the crusher would be a better fate than that.

Cheers,

Alec

In the US I've been using Kumho Powerstar 165-15 tires and they have been great. Unfortunately I think they may be moving away from making that tire but if that is not true I highly recommend them. As to the "new world" owners generally more interested in originality - assuming I'm in that bunch that is not my experience and when it comes to using bias ply tires I only know of one Triumph owner doing that :)

Edited by RandallD

Chris, we're talking road tyres here not race tyres ! ;)

Nothing like mixing up your XZX and your XAS . . . . . you'd soon know which was which on a wet roundabout !!! :lol:

But yes, for an IRS TR there is nothing to touch an XAS, it just doesn't get any better than that.

But hey, let's spend thousands galore on the body and paint, then scrimp by on just fifty quid a corner for the set of rubber. After all, it's not a driving machine any more, it's an investment, so does it really matter ?

I followed a TR6 through the lanes today, lovely looking machine in BRG, beautiful. On XAS too. Tiptoe through the tulips wasn't the word, I was trying to crack on, Panzer champing at the bit behind this mobile chicane. Eventually I barged past and disappeared over the horizon. Some time later I was pouring industrial quantities of diesel into the Bavarian Bruiser when our hero appears, all upset at my having offered him w*nk*r motions as I'd motored past. I mean, Panzer isn't a sports car for crying out load, it's a bloody great tow barge. This well spoken 40 something explained that my rate of knots was likely to throw up stones to chip his expensive paintwork, that's why he was driving in the middle of the road to avoid the nearside gravel, and my overtaking at 80 with two wheels on the grass was downright inconsiderate. Jeez, get a life sonny. More blathering about appreciating investments and ignorant middle aged hippies in overpowered vans. That's when I got seriously stroppy, and explained the facts of life. He's probably still recovering his mental equilibrium.

Preserving the marque. It's a sports car. Driving machine. So drive it. It's not a ruddy alternative investment commodity for futures trading - a one foot cube in the crusher would be a better fate than that.

Cheers,

Alec

Absolutely...., disgracefully inconsiderate of him.

I do plead guilty, though, to have polished my 5 on a Sunday afternoon, and admired the paintwork.

And would wish several hundred similar offences to be taken into consideration.

I was quite amazed at what I managed with a Burgess (£5) electric spraygun back then. The equivalent

now is a Wagner, or Silverlight at about £25 -£30 I think.

perhaps the Register could get some sponsorship for.......

The Dupli-Color Award For Best Can Job

The Best Hand Painted TR4

The Bravery With Hammerite Trophy.........