Servo pushrod to MC.

Hi All,

I am in the process of resetting my brakes due to a change from Silicon back to Dot4.

I have a query, The Servo pushrod to Master Clylinder, should be adjusted, with master off, put a metal rule across the studs and check with a feeler gauge 0.001---0.016 (which seems a large variation), according to haynes this should be done with engine

running. Therefore the pushrod will move forward. I have heard of it done with engine off.

Now i have done it with engine running and with engine off, i get a better pedal setting it with engine off.

My rear drums are slightly scored, and i havent changed them in my ownership, 20 years, so will be changing those

readjusting the rear adjuster and handbrake, and i imagine these could be part of my problem.

Your experience appreciated

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

I tried silicon without success, and now use Halfords Dot5.1 non-silicone based, it seems less aggressive to paintwork than dot4. I have also used Lucas Dot5.1 but have had difficulty in buying it recently. I made my change over to Dot5.1 over 12 years ago and specifically to Halfords brand some four years ago.

Hi Guy

The fact that you need to readjust the clearance between servo and MC and replace the worn out drums, could it be responsible for your lack of pedal feel instead of the dot5?

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I had the same thoughts, the servo is now set as i had set it with the silicon, ie with the engine off, and there is improvement over silicon.

If there is a further improvement when i fit new drums etc, well the drums may have contributed to spongy pedal.

Apart from the above, my other reason was a worry of my engine eating the silicon, due to a possible servo seal failure , and i dont want

to have the engine rebuilt again so soon. This might be remote and i do have a newish servo fitted, i am not going to take this risk

Cheers

GUY

To complicate things further heres a link to Buckeye Triumphs Technical pages of the servo

Which show a clearance of 0.035", engine off

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Servo/Servo.htm

Dont forget the haynes engine running .001-. 016"

If i had my original servo i could check but not sure if i had adjusted that or not.

Drums should be here with UPS Friday, thats if i an very lucky..

Cheers

Guy