TR6 with 3x Weber 40 DCOE, technical questions

Hi,

I have installed 3x weber with callibration settings found at various sites.

2 issues after tuning.

1. It won't start unless you use ether spray (start pilot). Once running it will restart easily, even few seconds after first start.

2. When driving it has power gap at mid rpm range.

Any good advice is welcome, incl. settings that one of you may have on one that is running fine with 3x weber.

You may also mail directly at c9@zeelandnet.nl

Regards from the Netherlands

Wilbert

Wilbert, please post your engine spec (compression ratio, cam etc) and your dcoe configuration (dcoe type (italian or spanish), float height, choke and jet sizes etc).

Normally the dcoe's just need a few pumps of the gas pedal to start them, rarely needing the choke unless it is a really cold day. If the car has been sitting for a week the fuel bowls will be low and will need filling before it can start. You can fill them manually with the pump lever, let the engine crank for a while to drive the fuel pump, or if you are all electric let the fuel pump run for a while until you hear the fuel bowls shut off.

Those flat spots can be a bugger to track down, best done on a dyno with an air/fuel meter, a selction of jets and someone with a clue.

Stan

Hi Stan,

engine is the original US spec engine, chassis no of car is CF10205U

Settings:

Choke size 30

main jet 120

emulsion tube F11

air corrector jet 160

idle jet 50F11

accelerator pump jet 40

when I have tried to start the engine you can smell fuel at the exhaust, so doesn't look like it is dried.

thanks for your feedback

wilbert

Wilbert, a couple of obesrvations..

Bolting a set of dcoe's to a US spec engine will do little to increase power but will start you on a path to a lot of head scratching as you are starting to discover. You may end up with less power than the original twin Strombergs especially with the 30mm chokes.

The jet selections dont look too far off what I would expect but you should be able to tell from the plugs if you are too rich or too lean but that also takes a lot of time as you need to observe each circuit.

The carbs spend most of their time on the idle circuit until you start to get to wider throttle openings and it is this transition from idle to mains where we see the flat spot the most. I found that fitting closed pump bypass valves to make the biggest different here for me, thanks Tom Fremont for that suggestion. That is a cheap reconfiguration and you only need three of them, one per carb.

You didnt mention what carbs these are (old model Italian or the new Spanish carbs) but they are diferent carbs and if you have the newer Spanish carbs there are some additional checks that I can suggest. If you dont know what they are post a picture.

Stan