SD1 Dizzy ignition

I have a V8 with the 35DE8 distributor which has the amplifier module inside the distributor.  The sparks have occasionally failed (twice in 3 years, not bad really!), cured by waiting a few minutes for things to cool down.  I am thinking of using the optical kit that S&S sell.  Is this a good idea and is it as simple to fit as it looks?.....Just to complicate matters there are no timing marks on the pulleys, just a diagnostic socket which leads to a sensor which picks up from a projection on the pulley.  Is there a cheap way of accessing and using this information?  At the moment I adjust the timing by trial and error which seems to work.....after a fashion.

I use a lumenition system which has been perfect for around 12 years, as long as you keep the optical lenses clean!!!

The lumenition was very easy to fit as long as you bought the 8 cylinder kit, otherwise no hope!

I would recommend getting timing marks on your pulley. all you really need is TDC as you can then use a timing light with advance/retard functions. If you don't have any on your pulley, you could borrow a pulley (& indicator) that does and then make up your own indicator & make a mark on your own pulley. After all the keyway will be the same. Bear in mind that too much advance will cause all kinds of problems with pre-ignition or possible head gasket issues, too little advance will lose you performance....

Cheers

Andy

Why bother going after market when their are loads of later RV8 ones around. I "upgraded" mine when I rebuilt the engine, from a DLM late Land Rover one to a Mallory dual point and sports coil. I now have what could be an ignition problem. I also lie in bed at night thinking "it fired 40 thou plug gaps before why change it" !!!!

Later Land Rover ones are available on E Bay and don't seem to have the amp problems that the early ones did.

Jim

--------------