Hi All

On the way home on Sunday after Malvern I was held up in traffic on the M1 for about 40min.The TRs electric fan kept the water temperature under control never passing mid way on the gauge. However after about 30min the engine starting missing, and running badly.Once I cleared the traffic everything settled down.My car has a 6 branch manifold and triple webers and I'm sure the problem was caused by  heat from the manifold overheating the carbs.My question is whats the best method of shielding the carbs from the heat.

Cameron

Cameron,

Did the electric fan remain on continuously during the referenced interval in traffic? If not, you could put in a manual override to keep it on in such instances.

I've had triple Webers on mine for 10 years and 60,000+ miles without heat shield; however, I don't think it's ever spent 40 minutes idling without respite ( I would turn off the motor if I could ). I chose to keep the original fan so as to ensure air movement continuously for just that reason ( and it's useful for turning over the engine when adjusting the valves, timing, etc. ). I also had the tubular headers ceramic coated in the hope that it would retard the heat loss somewhat - don't know whether it makes a significant difference or not, but it can't hurt.

Another sure way to cool the carburetors is to run it a fast idle ( 1500+ rpm ) - the evaporative cooling will definitely do it! :D