TR7/8 Bumper Removal

As part of my ongoing projects with 7/8's I would like to dispense with the heavy bumpers.

I cannot believe that cars are raced with these still in place.

Anybody able to see problems removing the excessively heavy bumpers?

I have heard of heavy weights being required by design.

Is a tie rod required between the bumper mounts to prevent flexing?

Thanks in advance.

David

The weights you speak of were added as they were supposed to reduce scuttle shake in convertibles. I would suggest that on a coupe you wouldn't notice any difference but with a softop you may well feel a reduction in rigidity if you pardon the phrase!

There are ways around this such as strut braces etc attached between turrets and back into the bulkhead , but worth checking the regulations on the racing you want to do as it may require them!!

Hope that helps....

The massive bumper core or armature of the Wedge was primarily designed to meet Federal regulations - in conjunction with the additional overrider construction incorporated in the bumper covers front and rear for the North American market. European cars made do with a less elaborate bumper cover, the style we are all familiar with, over the same core.

Whether or not such massive bumpers serve any purpose is a matter of opinion - many folks think not. A viewpoint that tends to be speedily revised after a close encounter with the scenery or the opposition . . . . . ask V8 Lady.

The additional weights in the ragtop (only) are there for a reason, not for the fun of it. BL were not given to adding costly extras for no purpose. As Wayne correctly observes, they were there as a counterbalance to reduce scuttle shake - and they do just that.

Competition cars, where the regulations permit, tend to dispense with the standard bumpers in favour of lightweight fibreglass 'silhouette' replicas - the crash protection factor being effectively reinstated by the fitment of a full rollcage.

At the risk of stating the obvious, removing a hefty chunk of weight from each end does have a certain influence on the handling and ride of the TR7, even more so on the TR8. It's not difficult to remove the bumpers, if you do so and install a temporary sidelight and indicator arrangement on the front, you'll soon enough feel what I mean.

Cheers,

Alec