Rocker cover vent

My '63 SU carbed TR4 is fitted with a non-vented rocker cover and has a filler cap which is vented through a series of holes in the bottom.

After a long run, there appears to be oil leaking from the base of the filler cap onto the rocker cover (and then covering the immediate vicinity with a mist of oil). This can be a bit of a pain to have to keep wiping it clean.

Is this normal?

I noticed lots of 4s at the International last weekend had vented rocker covers and a closed circuit system - but they all appeared to be on strombergs.

Is the answer to change to a vented rocker cover?

It is normal! If you want to change to a closed circuit you'll need to get a rocker cover with a vent tube by the carbs and get the later type of air filters with an input for the breather hose (or a PCV valve to the inlet manifold - I think). The other option, if getting rid of the oil mist is your only concern, is to get a later type rocker (vented) and run a tube to the underside of the car.

Cheers

Ade