TR4 handbrake conversion?

I have a late 1965 tr4 with the handbrake down the side of the tunnel. It is the sports type, Lift to release, push button to hold.

Can I swap handbrakes (or inner parts) with a tr6 or heralds to get normal operation. I have to deal with busy traffic and get confused!

all the best

Tony

I've had it 14 years and I still curse every time I want to stop at the top of a slope! I thought as I was rebuilding the brakes I might "fix it"

I wanted to keep it as efficent as possible and looking original. I have just moved the main dipped switch to the steering column as its a bit of a tricky dance with size 11 shoes.

the car is far from standard as it is the wrong colour blue (delft) which was never used on a tr4.

If I manage it I will post a method report!

I've had it 14 years and I still curse every time I want to stop at the top of a slope!

Ah, OK then Tony, maybe you won't get used to it :D

Let us know how you get on - would have thought you could just nip down the scrap yard and take your pick of one that you fancy. I'd go for something Jap like and old Micra for reliability/simplicity.

cheers, Andy

Ive got a 4a to 6 arrangement on ine - nearly good enough but only a little work to do - go for this if you want originality (????!!!!) my friend Walter has all the bits you need - wpetchey@yahoo.co.uk - he supplied mine and now knows whats required.

Otherwise Demon Tweeks or Rally Design both do very dapper hydraulic handbrake kits that require a little fitting (top of tunnel again) but are absolutely the business - about £100.

Both methods are proved and ive seen / driven them or owned them. I dont know the Revington kit but knowing neil it will be good but you pay for a well engineering product.

Regards

Tony

I dont know the Revington kit but knowing neil it will be good but you pay for a well engineering product.

That's the one I have, a little tricky to fit but it works fine now, ... BUT it's still "fly-off" - which is exactly what Tony (the other one) is trying to avoid!! :)

cheers, Andy

Can you tell us what you mean by "a littke tricky to fit"?
Can you tell us what you mean by "a littke tricky to fit"?

Doesn't just bolt on in a straightforward manner, best to get Revington to talk you through it I think - some work involved to line evrything up, etc. Mine was fitted by TRBitz.

cheers

Andy