Hi All

Did not get a response to this on the Main Forum so probably posted it in the wrong place. Just about to fit my reconditioned and recalibrated distributor from the Distributor Doctor on to my TR4.Is it just a matterof setting TDC noting the position of the old distributor undoing the clamp and doing the swap?.Then adjusting the timing to Martins recommendations. I seem to rembember someone warning about the oil pump drive shaft moving and the drive key dropping in the sump. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Chris Hubball

Chris

I didn't answer before because there are far more knowledgeable TR men on here than me, but I think you'll find the distributor only goes in one way and you just have to do the timing.

Turn the engine over with the cap off and until the rotor arm is pointing at number one cylinder. At this point the timing mark on the fan pulley should be near the pointed marker on the timing chain cover. Rotate the engine till it's lined up exactly. Now, having decided which way the distributor rotates, hold the rotor arm so that it's fully retarded and with the clamp bolt loose, rotate the distributor back and forth until you can see exactly where the points open. Clamp it up at just opening and then rotate the rotor arm back and forth. The points should be closed when it's fully retarded and open immediately you move it. Your timing should be pretty good.

Ash