A Big Bang

Guest mrodbert

Guest mrodbert

We need some help. I thinks its going to be major and expensive, but before I ship it to the friendly local garage I wanted to poll some thoughts on what might have happened.

As I was out for my Sunday afternoon constitutional, otherwise known as any excuse to get the TR4 out, the throttle stuck open in the max position. About half a second later I dipped the clutch, which pushed the revs into and past the red zone. It took me about another 1-2 seconds to realise what was happening and I switched off the ignition. I then opened up the bonnet and jiggled the throttle linkage which freed it up. I restarted, but the clutch would not disengage. Tried to restart in neutral, but this time the starter was spinning, but not turning the engine.

My initial diagnosis, without much investigation, is that the clutch/flywheel assembly is buggered, hence the no clutch/ starter spinning syptoms. But, of course, could have bent something in the bottom end or the gearbox too.

Anyway, would be interested in hearing your collective thoughts on what might have happened. Also would be useful to know whether a new flywheel/ clutch/ check the bottom end is an easy-peasy/ skin your knuckles/ let someone else do it - sort of job. Also, given that this is our road rally car, any thoughts on sensible work or upgrades we could do will we look at that bit of the car would be useful.

Many thanks,

Mark

The flywheel bolts may have failed, or it can be a broken crankshaft. You can remove the cover on the bellhousing to know if the flywheel can be tilted.

Mark

I did this with my 4 and the problem was that I has shreared the flywheel bolts off by revving the engine over 6000 rpm ....... caught it before it wrecked lots ...., you may be similarly lucky. Sounds like youve done the same by getting into neutral at full throttle. Nicely done Sir.

I would put money on the fact that when you pull the gearbox off (you need to do this Im afraid) it will be very heavy cos it contains a flywheel and clutch assembley tucked up inside the bellhousing. .... this will be the issue and why nothing happens when you try to make it go.

As likely as not you may get away with a set of bolts and a dowel on the flywheel-  I have all the kit required to sort this if you need to.

Worth considering putting another 3 dowel holes in the flywheel and crank end when its apart - 4 bolts to clamp the flywheel on, 4 dowels to resist the circumferential force - or just 8 bolt it with TR6 size larger bolts.

Regards

Tony

01252 629710