afternoon gentlemen,

i am hoping that someone has some advice for me on a similar problem.

i was stuck in traffic,visiting a classic car meet.i didnt get there as my tr5 developed a misfire.so i turned out of the traffic and drove home,it didnt clear.i think it was only one cylinder and once i had got to a steady cruise speed,it wanted to go,but when i accelerated it was back to missing.

i checked the leads at the side of the road,nothing was loose,and started again no problem and fine on tickover.

ps.just had a points and plugs service.

regards,

conrad.

Conrad,

It sounds like an injector is playing up. To eliminate this as a potential problem, check that all the injection leads have a pulse. Separate the leads and between forefinger and thumb feel for a regular pulse in each lead (do two at a time and compare the pulses), unless you have braided hoses fitted in which case you will need to remove each injector in turn and check each nozzle is spraying a fine mist (without droplets) or not.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

hi andrew,

i actually did that and the pulse was there,but not two at a time to compare,so i will try that tonight after work,

so if it is an injector and i can tell which one,do i take it off and run the engine so that it clears itself,or possibly it needs a new one.

thanks for the advice,

conrad.

Conrad,

If it does turn out to be an injector playing up then you may simply have air in it, in which case just bleed the offending injector (start the engine with the injector held over a container and gently intermittently flick the nib with your nail until you a get a good 60 deg spray/mist and no droplets) or replace as necessary. If you have the nib type injector fitted and the nib is easy to pull (with little resistance) or the injector rattles then its a duffer. If you have the non-nib type then just roll you thumb over the end until it either sprays as above, you get droplets only or nothing if the last two its probably had it.

But it could be a bit of **** getting passed the filter, or if its injector No 2 or 5 their unions on the MU are closest to the engine and the o-rings can deteriorate over time (helped by modern fuels and engine heat) and bits of the o-ring can block the injector nozzle. If so, take off the injector and gently tap the open end onto a cloth and see what comes out refit, bleed and see how it goes.

However, if it is bits of o-ring from No 2 and/or 5 then the lead will have to come off to replace the o-ring. If its bits of rust or other matter then you will need to work back to see where its coming from e.g. rust particles from the MU or tank, if the latter it shouldnt be getting passed the fuel filter(s) do you still have a Lucas pump fitted or a Bosch replacement?

It could of course just be a duff plug or lead what plugs and leads do you have fitted?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Conrad

I think your last sentance gives us a clue

ps.just had a points and plugs service.

I'd suggest that the fault is nothing to do with the injectors at all, but rather more likely to be a fault with your ignition system. Starting off with the capacitator (condensor) or rotor arm. Were they changed over?

Regards

Peter

evening andrew and peter,

just checked the injector pulsing again,and no.3 was very week...so took it out and started her up and nothing coming out...i flicked the nib as you said andrew,still nothing,so i pulled the nip a little and fuel started to flow,untill there was a nice spray.re-fitted and hey presto,she runs great again....maybe next job is to renew them.i have had the car a year and doing various jobs as i go along.

thanks again,

conrad.

Glad it was an easy fix Conrad, but don't be too hasty changing all the injectors - maybe just No 3 for the time being. But if you do feel you need to change all six, I would suggest changing them in sets of two or three. That way you only bleed the ones you change, as the last thing you want is to have to bleed all six, particularly if the process proves troublesome..............

Cheers

Andrew

If you decide to, I have recently had excellent service from Mike B. see: http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/kent/good-suppliers-servicing.html

Stan

[/quo

hello stan.

thanks for the lead,unfortunatly a little too far from me.i will either do it myself,or have found a garage local to nottinham,that is more than capable and helpfull too.

cheers,

conrad.