2.5 6 pot in a TR4A

Hi All, Looking at buying a TR4A project in a few months and was wondering if a 2.5 6 pot goes straight in a TR4A or do you need bulkhead, cross member, steering modifications, it would be running carbs not PI. Reason I ask is you see them from time to time with no engine in and probably easier to source a 2.5 from a salloon rather than a 4 pot from ..... Before you ask I cant afford a TR5. If anyone has driven both TR4A and TR5 I would be interested to know the difference. I assume the TR5 wins on sound, power and smoothness and the TR4A on character ? steering and handling, is there much in it ? cheers Ben

Even better combination (if you want the smoothness of a 6-pot) is a Triumph 6-cylinder with carburettors, sitting in a TR4 chassis/body.

The 6-cylinder engine is, I believe, a fraction lighter than the 4-pot.

The TR4 has a better chassis than the IRS cars (stronger in torsion and the suspension parts don't fall off the chassis) and does not have the complication of IRS (wobbly wheels, extra 4 joints in the drive train). Although the ride is harder, handling is very predictable in the TR4.

Unlike PI cars, those with carburettors usually start on the press of the button/twist of the key and offer better fuel consumption.

There's a chap in the North London Group with just this type of motor and it is very nice indeed.

I believe a new cross member is required to clear the front of the engine and the engine mountings will be different -nothing too difficult.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Ian very interesting, I have a dream (probably never happen) of touring round France and Italy in it before fossil fuels run out :-) Is the TR4 OK for long distance touring with its hard rear end ? this is why I was favouring the TR4A. Over the years I have had quite a number of Spitfires and Midgets and I would happly take a 1500 spitfire with overdrive round France indeed I have done so with its tall gearing and supple rear suspension. Never fancied it in a Midget though with its firm suspension setup, though a Midget beats a Spitfire hands down when it comes to steering feel and cornering predictability (probably get shot saying that on a Triumph register) in my defense I have had 2 Spits and 3 Midgets so quite well qualified and also an MGB and that was really dull.

What about converting a TR250 to RHD I guess this is a common thing to do. Whats involved new wooden dash panel, new steering rack, brake pipes, wiring loom mods. What do you need to do to the engine to bring it back more inline to UK spec ? Carbs, Cam, compression ratio ?

cheers Ben

Hi All, Looking at buying a TR4A project in a few months and was wondering if a 2.5 6 pot goes straight in a TR4A or do you need bulkhead, cross member, steering modifications, it would be running carbs not PI. Reason I ask is you see them from time to time with no engine in and probably easier to source a 2.5 from a salloon rather than a 4 pot from ..... Before you ask I cant afford a TR5. If anyone has driven both TR4A and TR5 I would be interested to know the difference. I assume the TR5 wins on sound, power and smoothness and the TR4A on character ? steering and handling, is there much in it ? cheers Ben

The engine mountings will need some modification.