Ignition warning light wiring

My dynamo is working but the engine cuts out when I take the battery lead off, so I suspect my regulator is not working.

But just need to check that I have the ign. warning light wired correctly. (Not certain if this would have any thing to do with no charge, but grasping at straws)

On the bulb holder there are three connecters. Two of which are connected together.

From the wiring dia. I have to connect the yellow wire from the regulator terminal”D” and a white wire from the ign.switch.

But which goes to the twin and which goes to the single connecter.

The good news is that after 12 years of the car being in various boxes I’m close to completion. Just the normal little problems that a rebuild brings.

As always thanks in advance

Alexander

Alexander

That isn't a guaranteed test. Connect the battery, take the lid off the regulator, run the engine and watch the two solenoids. One pulls in when the dynamo voltage exceeds the battery voltage and the other sort of chatters to regulate voltage. What you need to know is that the one pulls in because that indicates it's charging. If you disconnect the battery at too low revs and not enough charge, the engine will stop.

Loose fan belts and sticking brushes are most likely causes of ignition warning lights flickering or not going out. My Bentley has had work done on the dynamo and I've had to adjust the regulator, but both are sixty years old, they are the originals.

Ash

In which caseif you only just put it back together and it's wired by the book, you could push the cut out in to see if it stays in and starts it charging. Do it at about 1500 rpm and then slow to tick over when it might drop out. If you turn the ignition off make, make sure the cut out opens up and disconnects the dynamo from the battery.

The ammeter should should a healthy charge to start with and then settle back to a modest one.

If you let me have your email I can send you instructions on how to test and set it up, but I reckon it's just a question of exciting the field after a long lay up.

Ash