hi

have got the hard top back from paint

and i am just about to start refitting the windows etc

how does the rope trick work when re fitting the windows

and what is the best way to protect the new paint

when fitting the head liner

any other advise welcome

regards pink and thanks for the help

Use a decent piece of rope of a substantial diameter say about 1/4 inch (some currently in the pound shop stock of 4mm). Fit the rubber to the glass, feed the rope into the gap in the seal (start from halfway along one of the longest sides). Hold the glass in place with the ends of the rope passing through the opening and apply firm pressure to the glass. From the other side pull the rubber into place and gradually work around the opening.

Not easy to explain in words but that is the sequence in essence. I have also seen it done by fitting the rubber to the opening first and then using the rope to pull the rubber over the glass.

Both methods are best done two handed, if you need to lubricate the rubber use plain water and it may be worth warming the rubber first with plain warm water.

Good luck.

Hi Pink,

the back window isn't usually a tight fit, but for heaven's sake be gentle with it - they are notorious for breaking when you replace a leaking rubber, and have been NLA for years.

If it all goes wrong I happen to have one on ebay ! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180668070870&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT :D

Cheers,

Alec