preferred spark plugs

Yesterday, I finally got around to treating my 73 with a new point set, condenser, wires and plugs...way overdue; however, I replaced the autolites that were in there from the PO with Champion RN12Y---I see where others here have had poor results with the Champions.....I find the car to be running a bit rough at low RPMs and a bit of hesitation now....Is there a consensus on what is the best plug for this application?

The Champion N12 plug will run a little hotter than standard spec N9 , so plug fouling is unlikely to give your symptoms. I would suspect the new points - the plastic cam follower can wear very rapidly in first hundred miles, especially if not lubricated with smidgeon of grease: they close up and retard the timimg.

Seem to remember in the old days when you bought new points (always a last step after dressing the pits and pimples off on a carborundum stone) they used to include a small plastic tit containing a dab of High melting point grease. Mind you the cam follower was a light brown composition material not the tough plastic used these days.

Guest ntc

Seem to remember in the old days when you bought new points (always a last step after dressing the pits and pimples off on a carborundum stone) they used to include a small plastic tit containing a dab of High melting point grease. Mind you the cam follower was a light brown composition material not the tough plastic used these days.

Yep :D the main problem with points is out with the feeler's (Wrong) set by dwell

Hi fblue73,

The Champion N12Y correlates to the Autolite 55 if I recall, good for U.S. carb cars. I use the NGK BP7ES which correlates to the cooler Champion N9Y with my P.I. cam and DCOEs; current set has 15,000 miles without cleaning or re-gapping so far. I also use Standard " Blue Streak " points, and though I have a lifetime supply they're out of production now. These have a felt lubricator for the cam and a ventilated stator for cooling. I also use their lubricant when installing; a small tube will last a lifetime. These are good for 10,000+ miles without service.

I also gap the plugs to 0.030" vs. the std. 0.025" and use a Lucas Sport coil. Low advance 7 degree distributor too. It all works so well I can't possibly be sold on an electronic "upgrade" :P

BTW, is your TR6 set up with the Lucas P.I. system? If so I may have seen it in the flesh at local shows :unsure:

Edited by Tom Fremont