Instruments

Guest BAZZ

Bazz, you might find that fitting all new bulbs would be enough & bypassing any reostat that might be fitted. The above worked wonders in the 7 and people are astonished on how bright it is.

Jim

Bazz, there ain't much you can do other than what Jim has suggested. The instrument bulbs are 2.2 watts and renewing them may assist as well disconnecting the rheostat. I've got the same problem as I believe most 6s do. Try it, its a fairly cheap option and may work.

Bazz

There is a company that supplies automotive LED bulbs for instrument and tail lights to give brighter light without the associated increase in temperature, unfortunately I can't find the link but when I do I'll post it.

Tend to agree with the previous posters about bypassing the reostat though, as well as improving the brightness it gets rid of a fire hazard.

Ron

On my 6 the original instuments had a kind of blue globe around the bulb housing. This globe is fixed to the instument and probably prevents dust to enter.When I changed the rev counter for an electronic driven counter the bulb housing was clear what makes the instument more visible   :)

Bazz did you check what the situation is on your instruments,

anyhow I would not advise to use stronger bulbs as they might burn out the plastic protection.

Jean

Thanks for the advice lads,but I am useless at electrics but I know someone who isnt so bypassing the rheostat and new bulbs sounds the way to go as it is useless anyway.The wife can stop the running commentary with a torch if this gets done. Cheers.

BAZZ.

You can get LEDs from Maplin Electronics, they produce no heat at all, but they need to be wired in series, as they run on low voltage.    They are available in various colours as well.   As they are diodes, they will only light when +ve  is to the anode and -ve to the cathode.