Starting up proceedure for CPCar

Hi, all,

Looking for your help and advice again.

I am nearly at the point when I am going to start up my car.

I have fully reconditioned the engine and everything on the injection side is new or reconditioned; I have gone for a new Bosch pump.Because nothing has seen any petrol yet do I have to bleed the system before trying to start the car? If so what does this involve?

I have brought a 72amp/hour battery so hopefully should have enough cranking power.

As usual any tips advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers Phil :)

Hi Phil,

First flush the system through thoroughly before connecting the M/U (this may have been the cause of my problem – see PI system again). Connect it all up & with the plugs & coil LT lead removed, crank the engine (using 20-30 second bursts with a minute’s rest in between to avoid overheating the starter motor) until fuel spray is observed from all the injectors (well at least 4 anyway). Replace plugs, injectors & LT lead & it should start with a bit of help from the right foot & choke. It probably won’t fire on all 6 initially & will spit & fart a bit for the first couple of minutes until all the air is expelled. You may also have to encourage this by continually bleeding the injectors in turn for a few minutes, and then it should settle down & be OK. Also it’s quite likely individual injectors will need bleeding again over the first few days. Also check the fuel line pressure if you have a test gauge as my new (recon) PRV was set to around 90psi, which is way too low.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly thankyou Richard for your reply.I followed it today and YIPPE she started up. I have  an oil leak coming from the spin on oil filter adaptor looks like its coming from the bolt hole.Still should not be to hard to fix??

Now its just a question if I have enough time to get the car on the road for the International...sure going to try!!

Cheers Phil  :D   :D