Number Plate Styles

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on the style of number plate that would have been originally fitted to a late '54 short door car - TS4869, although it wasn't registered until early April '55.

The car restoration is nearing completion and although it isn't all to original spec, I am trying to keep most of the outward appearance pretty close.

The (scruffy) plates on/with the car are raised silver letters/digits on a black plate, but I'm not sure if these are the original/original style. They do seem to comply with the pictures in Bill Piggott's Originality book where the 2's and 3's appear to have raised digits with the 3A's having pressed plates.

Does anyone know the style of plate that would have been original equipment?

Thanks,

Rod

Pressed plates were in use in 54, but better cars...ie TRs, usually had plates such as Bluemels, Hills or , best of all, Ace, all of which had separate digits, either white, silver painted or polished aluminium...Note, ALL digits at that time were 3 1/2inch, not the later 3 1/8th post 1962 ones....Tippers plates can probably make you a pair, but they won't be cheap....Ace plates in 1954 were about 5 guineas a pair, equivalent to about £100 now!!!Bill P.

Pressed plates were in use in 54, but better cars...ie TRs, usually had plates such as Bluemels, Hills or , best of all, Ace, all of which had separate digits, either white, silver painted or polished aluminium...Note, ALL digits at that time were 3 1/2inch, not the later 3 1/8th post 1962 ones....Tippers plates can probably make you a pair, but they won't be cheap....Ace plates in 1954 were about 5 guineas a pair, equivalent to about £100 now!!!Bill P.

Bill,

Thanks for the rapid reply. I've been out to the garage to look at the old plates - they have a small oval logo plate in the top corner, covered with black paint, but one shows just enough to suggest it says Ace. It looks like they were the originals then - perhaps I'll see if they will clean up.

Thanks again,

Rod

Ace plates were anodised aluminium and should clean up with care, likewise the Ace label. I remove the numbers and letters, repaint the aluminium backplate and then replace them.

Tipper's plates don't use the same letters and numbers and they are just polished aluminium, so not as nice and very expensive. I prefer the raised embossed plates with polished aluminium numbers and letters and several companies do them.

Ash

Ace plates were anodised aluminium and should clean up with care, likewise the Ace label. I remove the numbers and letters, repaint the aluminium backplate and then replace them.

Tipper's plates don't use the same letters and numbers and they are just polished aluminium, so not as nice and very expensive. I prefer the raised embossed plates with polished aluminium numbers and letters and several companies do them.

Ash

Ash,

Thanks for the information.

Could I ask what you use to clean off the old paint etc from the plate, Ace label, and the numbers themselves, and how you get the numbers off and re-attached?

If I do buy new, which companies would you recommend - I have made found via an internet search a company called Framptons in Waterlooville - do you have any experience of this company?

Thanks again,

Rod

You are indeed fortunate you have the original "Ace" plates, the Rolls Royce of number plates..for gawd sakes don't ditch them.....yes, they will clean up well....I released the original digits by grinding off the studs holding them at the back, got a new black blank backing plate and simply glued the refinished digits accurately to it, and re applied the oval Ace medallion....result looks really good , very original and correct looking and just right for a mid 50s TR, many of which had Ace plates....when they come up at Beaulieu autojumble, which isn't often, individual Ace letters/nimbers fetch at least a fiver each! Bill P.

Ash,

Thanks for the information.

Could I ask what you use to clean off the old paint etc from the plate, Ace label, and the numbers themselves, and how you get the numbers off and re-attached?

If I do buy new, which companies would you recommend - I have made found via an internet search a company called Framptons in Waterlooville - do you have any experience of this company?

Thanks again,

Rod

Rod,

Framptons ACE plates are top quality,-they are not cheap,but then,you get what you pay for..

cheers,

Laurence.

ps i have no connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer, my car is featured on the web site,-the TR5

Interesting topic.

During a garage clearout I discovered some original number plates from a 1955 Short Door TR2 and until reading this thread was going to bin them.

There is no makers ident but they have white plastic characters on a quite thin pressed aluminium backing plate. The backing plates are a bit tatty but the letters/numerals in good condition.

Any one know who the manufacturer was?