Hi friends

Have recntly bought a TR6 as the 6 has always been my first love? But, as I have studied the Triumph marque further the TR5 is, in my opinion, probably the most desireable TR.

I am going yo veiw a TR5 on Monday and i know the guy has owned it for 30 years. I am 100% sure it has not been restored but am informed that it is MOT'd and running etc... I saw the car for the first time about 2 years ago and was very interested but the owner was not intersted in selling at the time. I have kept in touch via email and it appears that the time for a sale could well be here

I want to veiw with my head and not my heart so am looking for guidnace on how to approach the veiwing. I have read that when I meet the seller I should not veiw the car straight away but look at the history file etc? Should I go withn a structrued list of questions? If so, what should they be and in what order??

After the veiwing I want to be in a position where I can walk away to consider everything... Should I get a "Heritage Check"? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciatted

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Forget the history file - check the car thoroughly especially the inner body and the chassis - if this is not right then you will spend more than the purchase price of the car to put it right - simples....

If you're not sure, take someone (or pay someone) to check it out for you properly - as it is likely to be a rather expensive purchase the cost of a proper inspection (£250 ish) could save you an awful lot of grief and hopefully highlight any potential money pits - mechanical work can be fixed relatively easily but major bodywork is costly!

TR5's rust just as bad as any other Triumph's so beware! They can be a nightmare!

Don't let your heart rule your head..!

Be Warned - I have inspected lots of TR5's from £3k to £40k and some of the more expensive ones have been badly restored by amateurs (and professionals) - The market tends to dictate the prices but this means people with shabby cars still think their cars are worth the same as properly prepared professionally restored cars - they are not!

Remember - if it looks to good to be true - it normally is...!

Sorry for sounding a bit negative but "Buyer Beware"

Regards Mark

Chris

Forget the history file - check the car thoroughly especially the inner body and the chassis - if this is not right then you will spend more than the purchase price of the car to put it right - simples....

If you're not sure, take someone (or pay someone) to check it out for you properly - as it is likely to be a rather expensive purchase the cost of a proper inspection (£250 ish) could save you an awful lot of grief and hopefully highlight any potential money pits - mechanical work can be fixed relatively easily but major bodywork is costly!

TR5's rust just as bad as any other Triumph's so beware! They can be a nightmare!

Don't let your heart rule your head..!

Be Warned - I have inspected lots of TR5's from £3k to £40k and some of the more expensive ones have been badly restored by amateurs (and professionals) - The market tends to dictate the prices but this means people with shabby cars still think their cars are worth the same as properly prepared professionally restored cars - they are not!

Remember - if it looks to good to be true - it normally is...!

Sorry for sounding a bit negative but "Buyer Beware"

Regards Mark

Chris

I was in a similar position last summer. I'd wanted a TR4A since two friends at university years ago each acquired one. I started looking seriously last summer after a chance meeting with a TR enthusiast at a local Show, and soon convinced myself that a TR5 was the way to go.

Id concur with comments below - I looked at some examples that were on the face of it OK, but underneath were a mess and would have cost a fortune in terms of repairing poorly executed body/chassis restoration work. In the end I decided to look for an example with original and solid (if cosmetically untidy) body and chassis at the expensive of not so good mechanical bits. Some of my decision making was also based on 'gut' feel about the owners too - this filtered out a couple of 'good/very good' examples (their words not mine) that were maybe not so good underneath the good presentation.

Eventually I bought a car that I have been very happy with - a fair price for a genuine car that needs work, is usable, but where nothing is 'hidden'. I also had lots of good advice from other TR Register members - what a great group of people.

I guess that the approach depends on your skill set and budget - my approach has worked for me.

Good luck.

Hi friends

Have recntly bought a TR6 as the 6 has always been my first love? But, as I have studied the Triumph marque further the TR5 is, in my opinion, probably the most desireable TR.

I am going yo veiw a TR5 on Monday and i know the guy has owned it for 30 years. I am 100% sure it has not been restored but am informed that it is MOT'd and running etc... I saw the car for the first time about 2 years ago and was very interested but the owner was not intersted in selling at the time. I have kept in touch via email and it appears that the time for a sale could well be here

I want to veiw with my head and not my heart so am looking for guidnace on how to approach the veiwing. I have read that when I meet the seller I should not veiw the car straight away but look at the history file etc? Should I go withn a structrued list of questions? If so, what should they be and in what order??

After the veiwing I want to be in a position where I can walk away to consider everything... Should I get a "Heritage Check"? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciatted

Thanks

Chris

Hi Friends

Thanks very much for the advice, I have read about where to look for the faults and problems and the guys at TR Bitz have been excellenty at educating me.

I won't be making a decision there and then but and will be having a real good look all over the car

Will keep you posted

Thanks

Chris

If I were you I would get to grips with looking over your 6 properly. 99% of that experience will be valid for looking over a 5.

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes I agree mate, the guys at TR Bitz had my 6 up on the ramps for me and showed me all the places, paid more for a well restored car when buying my TR6 but this 5 will be a different story..

Will let you know how I get on

Chris

Same Chassis and doors?? Have read quite a bit about them in a book by Bill Piggott, How to Restore etc,,

And that is all.There are so many different places to look, but you seem to have guidence anyway

Ok, the things you could check on your 6 that would be worth checking on a 5 are:

rear chassis outriggers

bulges in t-shirt pressing

play in diff mounts

play in rear drivetrain

crankshaft endfloat

ripples in chassis

hogged chassis

door gaps / amount of chassis to body packing at rear hiding chassis weakness?

head in footwell shine torch up to plenum. particularly check corners where the drain tubes are.

top deck outer and torch from inside boot

lower wing condition front/rear

outer sill condition front/rear

rear of sill from underneath

front lower inner suspension mountings

floorpan condition

cracks in the inner rear wheel arch

front and rear valance condition

pull back carpets and check B posts, A posts

stress cracks in A post from door hinges

The point is to get used to looking over a car and finding out what you can expect to see if you start pulling back carpets etc, and become confident about doing it. His carpets - your wallet.

Otherwise what do you have to compare it to?

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6

Hi Guys

Had a look at the TR5 this afternoon and ahd a long chat with the owner..

He has had the car worked on fairly extensively twice and has used the car a lot up to about 12 years ago. He was very honest about the work he has had done but the receipts for any work is very limited as he had a personal contact do the work with parts the owner sourced personally..

The boot lid is excellent as is the rear valance, bonnet, front valance. The panel alignment looks pretty good too. The sills feel and look good and did have a good looke all over with the torch.. Boot floor was good, where the battery sits was fine, inner wings very good.. There was some very small bubbles on one of the rear wings at the B post area and also one of the front wings but not too bad.

He did tell me that the chassis has had some repairs at the back (out riggers)

Diff is leaking, carpets were a little damp in the front but the floors didn't look too bad at all. Engine bay looked fairly clean too..

It was better than I expected to be honest

The veiwing area was a little restricted and I have agreed with the owner that I will have someone take a look at the car also. Will ask one of the local groups to recommned someone and keep you posted.

Man I love old cars!!!! :D

He has had the car for 30 years and whne he bought it it had done 67k, now got 168000 on the clock

post-9512-0-92079900-1300736203_thumb.jpg

post-9512-0-92079900-1300736203_thumb.jpg

The veiwing area was a little restricted and I have agreed with the owner that I will have someone take a look at the car also. Will ask one of the local groups to recommned someone and keep you posted.

Hi Chris

I engaged a guy called Brian Page of Classic Assessments to give my 6 the full treatment prior to purchase -recommended by someone in my local group.

Brian's had a TR6 for many years and has assessed hundreds of TRs (and many other marques) over the years

My list of requirements along with his own observations provided an in depth report for about £250 + Travel expenses from his base in Cambridgeshire and money well spent IMHO.

Discount for prompt payments and TR Register members.

No connection, just a satisfied customer who got a professional service from a very nice guy. Got a great report and pre-report feedback to make an informed decision, which I found very helpful in addition to my own gut feeling on the car.

Contact details ??? - web site is www.classicassessments.com or Brian Page on 07968 167331

Hope you've got plenty of Garage space?!!!

Cheers

Rob

Hi Chris

I engaged a guy called Brian Page of Classic Assessments to give my 6 the full treatment prior to purchase -recommended by someone in my local group.

Brian's had a TR6 for many years and has assessed hundreds of TRs (and many other marques) over the years

My list of requirements along with his own observations provided an in depth report for about £250 + Travel expenses from his base in Cambridgeshire and money well spent IMHO.

Discount for prompt payments and TR Register members.

No connection, just a satisfied customer who got a professional service from a very nice guy. Got a great report and pre-report feedback to make an informed decision, which I found very helpful in addition to my own gut feeling on the car.

Contact details ??? - web site is www.classicassessments.com or Brian Page on 07968 167331

Hope you've got plenty of Garage space?!!!

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks very much for the info mate

I had a big garage built last year and can fit two TR's in pretty comfortably.. Thta it is it though

Going to Warrington tomorrow, my 6 is almost complete :D

Cheers

Chris